Doris Smith Scholarship for Singing
28 February 2022
DonorThe Doris Smith Scholarship Trust
This scholarship was established by the Trustees of the will of Doris Smith to assist students who are studying singing/voice. The purpose of the scholarship was to provide funds to be used towards the payment of fees or where it may be considered desirable living allowance and travelling expenses.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any Music program with University of Newcastle in which the major focus of study is the voice.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be a resident of Newcastle, Maitland, Cessnock, Lake Macquarie or Port Stephens Local Government Areas..
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident (includes New Zealand Permanent Residents).
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A personal statement (approx. 1 A4 page) outlining your academic achievements, career aspirations in the relevant area of study, and how this scholarship would assist you.
- You may be required to provide documents to support your educational disadvantage claims. These will be identified when you apply based on your individual application responses.
The scholarship is ongoing for 2 years of eligible study and provides a total maximum benefit of $15,000.
The scholarship will be paid in instalments of $3750 each semester, not prior to census date, for up to 2 years.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Interview/ audition may be required.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.