The Doris Smith Scholarship
06 August 2017
DonorThe Doris Smith Scholarship Trust
EstablishmentThis scholarship was established by the Trustees of the will of Doris Smith to assist students who are studying singing/voice. The purpose of the scholarship was to provide funds to be used towards the payment of fees or where it may be considered desirable living allowance and travelling expenses.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled with UON at any level in a Music program with the Faculty of Education and Arts or any combined program incorporating Bachelor of Music and in which the major focus of study is the voice.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Be a resident to the municipalities of the cities of Newcastle, Maitland, Cessnock or the Shires of Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not have previously received this scholarship.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
- Optional: any documents supporting your claims, such as your CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement, health care card. Please limit to just a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only.
The scholarship is ongoing for 2 years of eligible study and provides a maximum benefit of $15,000.
The annual amount is $7,500 and will be paid as two equal lump sum amounts following Semester 1 and 2 census dates in each year.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Interview/ audition may be required.
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
- Faculty of Health and Medicine
- Faculty of Science
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759