Norman Bushman Scholarship for Studies in Voice
06 March 2020
DonorMr Norman Bushman
This scholarship was established at the request of Norman Bushman, who was born in Singleton, NSW. While he lived his adult life in Sydney, he had a strong connection to the Hunter Valley with a great love for music.
During his life Norman Bushman dedicated himself to a number of causes including: The Lions Club, the Australian Labour Party, young artists with potential in music and drama and indigenous students from Australia and Papua New Guinea.
As a passionate supporter of the arts, and with a special interest in music, it was his dream to help people achieve in this area and to promote and support music research and performance at the University of Newcastle.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in Bachelor of Music (including Honours) or any combined program incorporating Bachelor of Music in the UON Faculty of Education and Arts with a focus in voice.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Have demonstrated a high standard during performance either at entry audition or at interview for shortlisted applicants.
- Not have previously completed an Australian undergraduate degree program.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides $15,000 each year,paid in two equal payments of $7,500 after semester one and semester two census dates.
This scholarship may be continued for the duration of the program up to a maximum of four (4) years and benefit of $60,000, provided ongoing conditions are met.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. An interview/ audition may be held if required.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759