Dr Geoffrey Leonard AM Scholarship
03 March 2021
DonorDr Geoffrey Leonard AM
This scholarship was established by the Dr Geoffrey Leonard in 2009 to assist eligible students from rural and remote areas who are studying a Business, Commerce or Accounting program within the Faculty of Business and Law. Dr Geoffrey Leonard is a recipient of the UON 1999 Newton-John Award and named as one of the `Magnificent seven', one of the most successful owner-operated businesses in the Hunter in 25 years. He was a graduate of the University of Newcastle and has given his service on the University Council and the UON Foundation Board, Newcastle Innovation & Hunter Medical Research Institute. He is a well-known philanthropist and a generous supporter of the University.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 1st or 2nd year of the Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Commerce or a combined degree where both degrees are offered in the Faculty of Business and Law.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not have previously completed a degree.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of 4,000, paid in two lump sums of $2,000 following semester one and semester two census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit, namely your Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or equivalent may be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759