Friends of the University Thelma Wright Memorial Nursing Scholarship
03 March 2021
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the university and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the university. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more.
Thelma Wright was a long standing committee member who raised the proposal in 2006 to establish a scholarship for a nursing student, and her proposal was accepted the following year as The Nursing Scholarship. With the unexpected death of Thelma Wright in December 2008, the committee named the scholarship after her. A fitting recognition of her involvement with the establishment of the Friends of the University and twenty-eight years she had served on the committee with major involvement in every Book Fair.
Applicable to: Nursing, Nurses, 2nd year, Second year, Health and Medicine Students, high achievers.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in your 2nd year of the B Nursing program with the Faculty of Health and Medicine, University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher in your current program.
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000, paid as two payments of $2,000 following semester one and semester two census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit will be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.