Lewis Ewart Lewis Physiotherapy Scholarship
03 March 2021
This scholarship was established in memory of Lewis Ewart Lewis, a local physiotherapist who committed his entire career to the well-being of the people of Newcastle. Born in Newcastle in 1909, Lewis commenced his career as a podiatrist and chiropodist before qualifying as a physiotherapist in 1945.
One of the pioneers of private physiotherapy practice, Lewis was highly regarded by both his many patients, some of whom travelled 4-5 hours each way to consult him, and by his peers.
Following his passing in 2004, the Lewis Ewart Lewis Physiotherapy Scholarship was established to help disadvantaged physiotherapy students. This scholarship realised Lewis' ambition of supporting promising local students to enter the profession in which he took great pride and to which he devoted most of his professional life.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of a Bachelor of Physiotherapy degree with UON.
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher in your current program.
- Demonstrate that your ability to study is affected, or will be affected, by financial hardship or other educational disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $4,000 to be paid as a lump sum following Semester 1 census date.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.