William Bowmore Undergraduate Scholarship for Piano or Cello
28 February 2022
DonorDr William Bowmore
Dr William Bowmore has established this scholarship to share his great love of music and the arts in the Hunter Valley Region. In 2002 Dr Bowmore was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Newcastle (Australia) and an Order of Australia for service to the arts as a collector, donor, benefactor and patron of galleries in Australia, and to young musicians as a teacher and sponsor of concerts and scholarships. He had been an active supporter of the Newcastle Conservatorium since 1952.
Dr Bowmore was very keen to support the development of cello players within the University of Newcastle music programs, so preference for award of this scholarship may be given to a student who plays this instrument.
For more information, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year a Music program with a focus on cello or piano at University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate academic progress either by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent required for entry for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident (includes New Zealand Permanent Residents).
- Not be the recipient of another University of Newcastle donor-funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application responses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a total benefit of benefit of $4,000, paid as $2000 each semester after the relevant census dates (usually in April and September) provided ongoing eligibility is met.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents, with reference to the eligibility criteria. Selection of the scholar may also include consideration of performance and interview at audition for admission. The selection panel may give preference to a student who plays cello.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.