Concerns about research animals

Immediate veterinary assistance for research animals

During business hoursOutside business hours
Animal Welfare Officer     (02) 4913 8702     UON Security    (02) 4921 5888
Animal Services Unit        (02) 4921 6220 

The Animal Welfare Officer can also provide veterinary clinical services for sick or injured research animals, investigation of animal health problems, and advice on monitoring the health of animals in research facilities.

Concerns regarding specific projects

Other concerns relating to the welfare of research animals at the University of Newcastle should first be raised with the Chief Investigator (CI) of the applicable project or the Associate Director, Research Infrastructure (ADRI) for breeding animals.

If you cannot or do not wish to contact the CI or ADRI, or are not satisfied with the response received, you can contact the Animal Care and Ethics Committee (ACEC) Chair (via the Ethics Officer), or the Animal Welfare Officer who will liaise with the ACEC Chair.

The ACEC Chair will ensure:

  1. that the complaint is investigated to determine whether there are grounds for concern for animal welfare;
  2. where grounds for concern are revealed, that the activities cease immediately and appropriate action is taken to safeguard animal wellbeing;
  3. non-compliant activities are addressed per the ACEC Procedure; and
  4. the matter is referred to other University of Newcastle processes for action where appropriate.

Community concerns

General concerns regarding animal research can be addressed via the Community issues page.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.