Spatial and Time-Dependent Reliability Analysis of Structures Subject to Reinforcement Corrosion
► Professor Mark G Stewart
► Ms Lizhengli Peng
► Ms Hilyati Sabtu
Corrosion in Reinforced Concrete (RC) structures is a significant cause of structural deterioration, leading to cracking and spalling and loss of structural capacity. The Australian Research Council funded project is developing spatial and time-dependent reliability analyses for deteriorating structures, particularly for reinforcement corrosion caused by a changing climate. Probabilistic models have been developed for pitting corrosion, that consider rebar length, rebar diameter and time.
Corrosion can also affect the mechanical properties of rebars. Experimental studies have been used to develop crack initiation and propagation models. This now allows a spatial time-dependent reliability analysis to predict the likelihood and extent of corrosion damage to a RC surface, and how maintenance/repair strategies can extend the service life of RC structures. Recent work is focusing on updating reliability predictions using visual and other inspection data, and the effects of climate change which can accelerate the corrosion process.
- Stewart, M.G. (2004), Spatial Variability of Pitting Corrosion and its Influence on Structural Fragility and Reliability of RC Beams In Flexure, StructuralSafety, 26(4):453-470.
- Stewart, M.G. (2009), Mechanical Behaviour of Pitting Corrosion of Flexural and Shear Reinforcement and its Effect on Structural Reliability of Corroding RC Beams, Structural Safety, 31(1):19-30.
- Mullard, J.A. and Stewart, M.G. (2009), Stochastic Assessment of the Timing and Efficiency of Maintenance for Corroding RC Structures, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 135(8):887-895.
- Mullard, J.A. and Stewart, M.G. (2011), Corrosion-Induced Cover Cracking: New Test Data and Predictive Models, ACI Structural Journal, 108(1):71-79.
- Stewart, M.G., Wang, X. and Nguyen, M. (2011), Climate Change Impact and Risks of Concrete Infrastructure Deterioration, Engineering Structures, 33(4):1326-1337.
- Stewart, M.G. (2012), Spatial and Time-Dependent Reliability Modelling of Corrosion Damage, Safety and Maintenance for Reinforced Concrete Structures, Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, 8(6): 607-619.
- Stewart, M.G., Wang, X. and Nguyen, M. (2012), Climate Change Adaptation for Corrosion Control of Concrete Infrastructure, Structural Safety, 35(March): 29-39.