In July 2013, the University of Newcastle appointed Mr Paul Jeans as its seventh Chancellor.
The Chancellor provides leadership and guidance to the Council and is responsible for ensuring that the Council fulfils its obligations.
- leadership in the strategic direction and governance of the University
- chairing Council meetings and reviewing to ensure process improvement
- facilitating open and professional deliberations, and guiding and mediating Council with respect to organisational priorities and governance concerns
- assisting Council members in their role, to fulfill their responsibilities and promote the ongoing effectiveness of the Council
- acting as the conduit between members of the Council and the Vice-Chancellor
- mentoring the Vice-Chancellor
- assisting the Council to develop good relationships with stakeholders of the University and representing Council to external bodies and the community
- presiding over ceremonies and other relevant functions of the University.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.