Are you bushfire ready?
As the University approaches Christmas shutdown and we look forward to enjoying a summer break, it is timely to remember this is a period of heightened bushfire risk in NSW.
It is important for all staff to keep informed and be prepared about what to do in the rare event of a bushfire threat to campus.
What you can do
- regularly check your UON email account during periods of heightened fire risk
- register on HROnline to receive UON Bushfire Alerts via SMS. (HROnline>My HR>Employment>My Staff Directory Details > 'Critical Incident SMS')
- follow us on Facebook and Twitter, for UON Bushfire Alerts
- be familiar with emergency procedures which relate to building/s you frequently use, including who the Emergency Warden is, and where the closest emergency exits and assembly points are
- understand that you have a responsibility to yourself and to others to obey Wardens, Bushfire Alert advice and general university communications, and Emergency Services advice to keep yourself and others out of harm's way.
Please note that alert advice can include advising staff and students to stay at home and the closure of certain parts of campus, including some car parks. In the event of a full scale evacuation you may also be asked to leave your car and walk to safety.
In the rare event we have to evacuate your cooperation with advice received through UON Bushfire Alerts (via SMS, Facebook and Twitter) will ensure your safety and allow access for emergency services to respond quickly and effectively.
The University takes bushfire risk very seriously and we have emergency plans in place to respond to bushfire events. Our priority is keeping you safe and informed during any period of heightened bushfire risk.
If you would like more information ahead of the Christmas closedown, please contact Stuart Mieklejohn on 02 4921 7400 or Stuart.Meiklejohn@newcastle.edu.au