OS-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students, who are based in Australia, to undertake an overseas experience. Students may receive one loan per 6 month study period for one or two overseas study periods.
Any student applying for an OS-HELP loan must have completed 80 units of study prior to receiving the loan and have 10 units remaining to complete upon return to Australia.
Semester Exchange - You must be receiving a minimum of 30 units of credit for your semester exchange.
Academic short course - You must be receiving atleast 10 or 20 units of credit for your academic short course depending on the length of the course.
Study tour / Placement / Internship - The overseas experience must count directly towards the completion of a specific course.
For full eligibility criteria, please click here
For 2019, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is:
- $6791 (if you will not be studying in Asia); or
- $8149 if you will be studying in Asia; and
- students undertaking study in Asia may be eligible for a supplementary loan amount of up to $1,085 to assist with the cost of language study, undertaken in preparation for your overseas study in Asia.
Applying for OS-HELP
You can submit your application by emailing it from your student email account to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the required supporting documents:
- Semester Exchange - Signed and approved CATS approval letter showing a minimum of 30 units of credit
- Academic Short Course – Signed and approved CATS Approval letter and acceptance letter from the overseas institution outlining dates of the program
- Study tour / Placement / Internship – Confirmation letter signed by convenor / course coordinator
OS-HELP is administered by the Student Processes Office. If you have an enquiry, please contact Fees@newcastle.edu.au