PREP7700 - Academic English for ESL Students
This preparation course is designed for students from a Language Background other than English enrolling in Foundation Studies or an undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle.
The course will focus on academic language and practices and provide assistance with navigating university culture as well as an opportunity to build connections with other students.
The course will focus on a number of areas related to English language and literacies and provide hands-on experience in areas such as:
- University email
- Using Blackboard
- Language: e.g. grammar, academic vocabulary and voice
- Looking at different types of academic texts
- Using the library
- Finding your voice in tutorials
- Synthesising information: e.g. summarising, paraphrasing and paragraphing
- Reading academic material
- Listening to lectures to practice note-taking
- Becoming familiar with learning spaces at the university
This course will not be offered in the UON PREP Winter Program.