If you have not recently completed your HSC we offer a range of options for non-school leavers to gain entry into our degrees.

Entry for non-school leavers

You are a non-school leaver if you have not completed your HSC in the last 12 months. See Getting in from high school if you are currently completing your HSC.

Universities are filled with students of all ages, backgrounds and experiences, and at UON we understand that not everyone's journey is the same. We offer a range of options for non-school leavers to gain entry into our degrees.

Entry options

As a non-school leaver, you can apply for admission into a UON undergraduate degree on the basis of:

  • your performance in the HSC or equivalent, irrespective of when you completed it
  • completed or partly completed higher education studies
  • TAFE qualifications – completed Certificate IV or higher
  • overseas qualifications equivalent to Australian studies
  • post-secondary professional qualifications including – health care practitioner qualifications, defence qualifications or commissioned officer status
  • performance in alternate entry programs like Newstep or Open Foundation
  • performance in the ACER Special Tertiary Admissions Test.

If you have more than one of the qualifications listed above they may all count towards your application. See the UAC website for advice regarding how these qualifications are applied. You could also get help from the faculty who owns the degree you want to apply for.

Non-school leavers also have the advantage of being able to apply at any time of the year. This means you may also receive an early offer to study before the main round of offers are released.

Credit for past experience

Did you know that credit for previous studies may reduce the length of your degree? If your TAFE or other qualification is similar to the university degree you want to study you may be granted credit to reduce the number of units you need to study. This is a great way to save you money and time at university.

Entry help

A group of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander program

If you are an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicant, you can get help to gain entry into our degrees. All you need to do is indicate that you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent in your application. You will then be invited to attend an interview at one of our campuses.
Find out more by contacting the The Wollotuka Institute on
(02) 4921 6863.

A female student holding a tablet

Educational Access Scheme

With our Educational Access Scheme (EAS) you can get up to four additional bonus points if you have experienced educational or other disadvantage. To apply for the EAS, you must complete the application form contained in the EAS booklet produced by UAC or download the form from UAC. EAS applications for Semester 2, close on 7 July 2017.
EAS does not apply to the Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine program.
For more information phone our Enquiry Centre on 1300 ASK UON.

Student at the Forum swimming pool

Elite Athlete Program

As a member of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) program we support elite athletes to get into university with early offers. Once you start at UON, we also provide a range of support services to help balance the demands of study with your sporting career.
To find out more and apply see the NUsport website.

Find out how to apply