Like you, our residents are all unique and at Student Living we’re all about celebrating our differences and building a strong, vibrant community.
To support this community, Student Living provides a holistic and integrated program of activities and events for all residents that ensure the student experience while living on-campus is second to none with our award-winning ResLife program.
Facilitated by the Student Living team and our Residential Mentors, the ResLife program promotes social responsibility and active citizenship, highlights the importance of donating time and funds to the broader community and encourages self-development through six focus areas. These areas include:
ResLearn is all about supporting and promoting academic engagement, skill building and developing life long learning. Run by Residential Mentors and supported by Student Living, ResLearn encourages academic achievement and recognition and challenges residents to fulfill their academic potential.
What can you expect from ResLearn during the year?
- Weekly study sessions with Residential Mentors
- Events related to UON Stress Less Week
- Academic Success Celebration where residents who received a distinction average or above in Semester 1 are rewarded and recognised at an annual breakfast
- Opportunities to connect with various support services through Residential Mentors and Student Living
As part of the residential student experience, we value a holistic approach to health and wellbeing. Through ResHealth, Student Living provides key activities and events throughout the year to remind our residents of the need to maintain a balanced approach to their time here on campus.
What can you expect from ResHealth during the year?
- Events related to UON Sexual Awareness Week, UON Mental Health Day and RUOK? Day to promote wellbeing, help-seeking behaviours and draw awareness to support services
- A series of workshops that provide opportunities for residents to increase their skills and enhance employability. Workshops may include Mental Health, First Aid and safeTALK
ResUnite was created in 2018 as a way to celebrate and support the diversity of our residents by working together to develop a strong and inclusive community. ResUnite aims to encourage empathy for the experiences of individuals and groups within the Student Living community by promoting key dates and delivering workshops.
What can you expect from ResUnite throughout the year?
- Events related to International Women’s Day, UON Pride Week and NAIDOC Week
- Various workshops including ALLY training and Indigenous Cultural Competency
- Engagement opportunities for postgraduate residents to improve their residential experience
Student Living is our home and with that comes the obvious importance that everyone should feel comfortable within their home. A significant aspect of being comfortable, I believe, is feeling included no matter what walk of life you come from. If Student Living can cater for each individual living within its walls, I believe our community is only going to strengthen and ResUnite helps us do that.
- Gemma, South Tower resident
ResWorld is designed to help international students form connections with each other, with domestic students and with their home away from home.
What can you expect from ResWorld throughout the year?
- Events related to UON Cultural Awakenings Festival and International Student's Day
- Monthly excursions to help international students form connections with each other and learn about Newcastle
My favourite thing about ResWorld is being able to reach out to international students living in our residential communities. I feel that international engagement is a key component when you live on-campus as the university is constantly receiving international students who have chosen to come here for their tertiary studies. It's so important to be able to make international students feel part of the community and enhance their experience in living abroad.
- Nora, South Tower resident from Singapore
Student Living recognises the importance of developing community leadership skills and building individual leadership capacity within our residential community. Employability and building skills for the future are at the forefront of ResLead and Student Living supports the development of our current student staff and our volunteer leaders.
What can you expect from ResLead throughout the year?
- A series of workshops delivered by the UON Careers Service and Student Living to enhance resident employability
- The opportunity to upskill and join the Student Living team as a Residential Mentor by attending training sessions
The friendly rivalry and fierce pride of our residents are displayed in full force through our ResChallenge competition! ResChallenge involves a number of events throughout the year that celebrate the academic, artistic, athletic and altruistic strengths of our residents and concludes with the annual Student Living Awards Dinner where the residence that participated in the most ResChallenge events is awarded the highly coveted Residence of the Year award!
What can you expect from ResChallenge throughout the year?
- Music Night
- Film Festival
- Battle of the Brains
- Art Show
- Debating Challenge
- Multiple sporting events, including basketball, touch football, netball and soccer
When you mix together a pinch of raw residential talent, a dose of passionate college spirit and a sprinkle of good vibes you get ResChallenge! ResChallenge unites residents from across all colleges to engage in healthy competition through a range of activities from football to film to trivia! ResChallenge gives residents an opportunity to entertain and compete for the highly coveted Residence of the Year award and is definitely an excellent way to make the most out of your residential experience!
- Hamzah, North Tower resident
The ResWise Social Toolkit has been developed with the aim of empowering residents of Student Living to plan, manage and evaluate successful social events, and to minimise harm associated with alcohol use.
ResFest takes place at the beginning of each semester and aims to familiarise students with their new home away from home and give them a chance to meet fellow residents. It includes a wide range of activities such as social formal events, excursions to prominent landmarks in Newcastle and its surrounds, carnival days, as well as training and self-development workshops.
These sub-programs aim to support our residents to achieve academic success and form strong bonds with each other while maintaining a healthy study/life balance.
These initiatives are supplemented with a dedicated orientation program for new and returning residents known as ResFest and the promotion of safe and successful events with the ResWise Toolkit.
“The ResLife Program encourages everyone to chase their own passion within the UON community. Whether it’s sport, art, music or community work, the Student Living team are more than happy to expand on your ideas. It often seems hard to get involved, especially if you’ve come from a long way away or from a different lifestyle, but to find people you click with is so easy once you take that first step.”
- Connor, Edwards Hall resident