Clinical placement is a really exciting part of your time here at the University of Newcastle! Placement lets you experience what it's like to work as a health care professional in real life situations. Having a successful placement is an important step in completing your degree and this area will give you the essential information on how to get the most out of your experience.
Head over to the Student Placement FAQs section if you have any burning questions, but if you still need assistance and are unsure of who you can contact regarding your placement, you can find your placement contact here.
The Placement Experience
Before you go on placement, you'll need to know a few things to get the most out of your professional experience. This section will give you some insight on what to wear on placement, how to act, the places you'll go and the things you'll learn.
Placement doesn't just mean going to your local hospital! During placement you'll have the opportunity to experience the clinical setting in a variety of locations including rural and remote areas. This means that you get the very best understanding of what it is like to be a health care professional in Australia. You can find more information on rural and remote, interstate and international placements here.
The most important thing that you need to do before you can attend placement is to meet Faculty and NSW Health verification requirements. Unfortunately, if you don't get verified in time, the University isn't allowed to send you on placement, and this can mean you won't be able to continue in your program, so it is really important to make sure that you meet all of the requirements!
According to the Public Health (COVID 19 Vaccination of Health Care Workers) Order 2021, all students attending clinical placements at either a NSW Health venue (public) or private hospital in NSW, will be required to be fully vaccinated (2 vaccinations) against COVID-19.
Evidence of vaccination compliance must be provided via an email to the NSW Heath verification partner relevant to your campus of enrolment or clinical school as per instructions provided below:
- Sign in to myGov to get proof of your vaccination. Link: Sign-in - myGov
- Label the PDF copy of your AIR Certificate and name the file as: "COVID-19 First Name Last Name Student Number" (e.g., COVID-19 John Smith 12345). All digital certificates for COVID-19 vax are on the national Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) available via myGov (for students with Medicare cards and also international students with IHI numbers). Please note that this is the only proof that will be accepted
- You must send the email from your University of Newcastle student email address
- The email subject line must say: "COVID-19 Vax First Name Last Name Student Number" (e.g., COVID-19 John Smith 123456)
- Attach a copy of your student ID card
Please send the email to:
Callaghan Campus students:
Central Coast Campus students:
Port Macquarie students:
Find your placement requirements
Meeting the requirements can take a bit of time, so we have devised a placement requirements tool to help guide you.
Select your degree, campus and if you are a domestic or international student from below:
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.