Apply for a degree
- Enabling to Undergraduate
- Undergraduate study
- Postgraduate study
- PhD and Research Masters study
- International students
Enabling to undergraduate
If you completed an enabling program (Newstep, Open Foundation, Yapug) in Semester 2 2016, or will be completing in Semester 1 2017, and would like to apply for entry to an undergraduate degree, you do not need to apply through UAC; you can apply directly to UON. There is no application fee and you can choose up to 5 UON preferences.
The application will be available on this page until midnight 9th July. Not all programs have mid-year entry, so please check our degrees page to find out which degrees are available.
APPLICATIONS FOR SEMESTER 2 2017 ARE NOW OPEN
Educational Access Scheme (EAS): If you have experienced long-term educational disadvantage that has seriously affected your current foundation studies please read the EAS booklet for the seven broad categories recognised. Completed forms and supporting material should be uploaded when you submit your application for admission.
If you completed an enabling program prior to Semester 2 2016 you can apply through UAC.
Current undergraduate students enrolled at UON who wish to transfer to another degree program can apply to transfer online.
Applications are assessed on the basis of your Grade Point Average (GPA) from your UON studies and other previous eligible qualifications if required. Internal Transfer applications open 31st May and close midnight 9th July. For more information please visit our degree transfer page
If you're a current student interested in postgraduate coursework, you can either apply through:
Please note that some postgraduate coursework programs are ONLY available via lodging a UAC application. A number of these programs also have very early closing dates, including a number of deadlines in October.
PhD and Research Masters study
If you're looking to study a PhD or Research Masters, see information on how to:
How to apply
If you're an international student, you need to apply to study at the University of Newcastle with International Admissions.
Email International Admissions or phone 4921 6236 for more information.
You need to enrol in a full time study load in myHub through myUoN.
A semester full time load is 40 units. A trimester full time load is 30 units.
You will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which outlines the expected time it will take for you to complete your degree while studying full time at UoN. If you don't complete your degree within the time listed, you may need to apply for an extension on your student visa, and it can only be extended in the following circumstances:
- Compassionate or compelling circumstances, e.g. illness where a medical certificate states you were unable to attend classes or where the registered provider (UoN) was unable to offer a pre-requisite unit.
- The registered provider (UoN) has implemented an intervention strategy if you're at risk of not completing your degree.
- An approved leave of absence has been granted.
Your program officer can provide you with a CoE extension letter.
As a condition of your student visa, you need to maintain a minimum 80% attendance rate during your study at UoN, otherwise your student visa may be cancelled. See the ELICOS and International Foundation Program Attendance Procedure.
If you fail more than 50% of your courses in a study term, you'll be asked to meet with the ESOS Student Compliance Unit to determine if there are compassionate or compelling issues that have impacted on your results.
See the Admission and Enrolment Policy and Procedure Manual - Coursework programs (pg 26), and the Rules Governing Admission and Enrolment Policy for further details.
Transferring to another university
If you want to transfer to another university after you've accepted your offer at UoN, please provide the following to the ESOS Student Compliance Unit:
- Complete a Request for Letter of Release form (PDF, 125KB).
- Attach your offer letter from your new university or provider to the above form.
- If you're an ELICOS student, please contact the Language Centre to complete a withdrawal letter.
- If you're a sponsored student or are studying at the University on a scholarship, please inform your sponsor/scholarship provider of your revised study situation and get their approval for this amendment to your study duration.
For more information, see the International Students Requesting Transfer to Another Institution Procedure.