Apply for a degree

Enabling to undergraduate

If you are on track to complete one of our enabling programs (Newstep, Open Foundation, Yapug) at the end of this term and would like to apply for entry to an undergraduate degree you may be able to apply direct to UON for free!

Click here for more details

Students who completed Yapug, Open Foundation or Newstep prior to the current semester need to apply through UAC.

Undergraduate study degree transfers

If you are currently studying one of our undergraduate degrees but would like to transfer to a different degree you can apply to transfer for free. Please click here for more information.

Postgraduate study

If you're a current student interested in postgraduate coursework, you can either apply through:

Please note that some postgraduate coursework programs are ONLY available via lodging a UAC application. A number of these programs also have very early closing dates, including a number of deadlines in October.

PhD and Research Masters study

If you're looking to study a PhD or Research Masters, see information on how to:


See our degrees for a list of Honours programs. You can apply to study Honours through the Direct Admission Application form (PDF, 296KB)

International students

How to apply

If you're an international student, you need to apply to study at the University of Newcastle with International Admissions.

Email International Admissions or phone 4921 6236 for more information.


You need to enrol in a full time study load in myHub through myUON.

A semester full time load is 40 units. A trimester full time load is 20 to 30 units depending on your Program, please follow your Program Plan. Unapproved reduced study could impact your ability to gain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) Extension in the future.

You will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which outlines the expected time it will take for you to complete your degree while studying full time at UON. If you don't complete your degree within the time listed, you may need to apply for a new student visa. A CoE can only be extended in the following circumstances:

  • Compassionate or compelling circumstances, eg illness where a medical certificate states you were unable to attend classes or where the registered provider (UON) was unable to offer a pre-requisite unit.
  • The registered provider (UON) has implemented an intervention strategy if you're at risk of not completing your degree.
  • An approved leave of absence has been granted.

Your Program Advisor can provide you with a CoE Extension letter to Student Advice. Please email to request a CoE Extension letter.

Student Visa Requirements

ELICOS Satisfactory Attendance

As a condition of your student visa, you need to maintain a minimum 80% attendance rate during your study at UoN, otherwise your student visa may be cancelled. See the ELICOS and International Foundation Program Attendance Procedure.

Undergraduate and Postgraduate Coursework Satisfactory Progress

If you fail 50% or more of your courses in a study term, you will be asked to create a Progress to Success Plan to help you identify ways to be successful in your future studies. You can also meet with the Student Advice Team to discuss any compassionate or compelling issues that have impacted on your results.

See the Admission and Enrolment Policy and Procedure Manual - Coursework programs, and the Rules Governing Admission and Enrolment Policy for further details.

The University of Newcastle adheres to the Educational Services for Overseas Students ESOS framework. For more information, email

Transferring to another university

If you want to transfer to another university after you've accepted your offer at UON, please complete a Request for Release form (PDF, 125KB). Once completed please send this form and all attachments, including your offer letter from your new university or provider to UON Global via

If you're an ELICOS student, please contact the Language Centre to complete a withdrawal letter.

If you're a sponsored student or are studying at the University on a scholarship, please inform your sponsor/scholarship provider of your revised study situation and get their approval for this amendment to your study duration.

For more information, see the International Students Requesting Transfer to Another Institution Procedure.