Think outside the box and bring your campus to life
You’re creative. You’re part of the UON community. You have an idea that can’t be contained.
But how do you give that idea wings?
Create is the answer.
Create is UON’s annual festival of creativity and imagination. It’s two incredible weeks when our campuses come to life with the creative inspiration of our community.
In 2018, Create will be a highlight of September’s E+I 18 celebrations – truly showcasing the life-changing beauty of thinking outside the box, one of the key elements of UON’s innovative spirit.
From Monday 3 to Friday 14 September 2018 your idea could change your campus. Imagine vibrant exhibitions, surprising performances and innovative installations and creations - and then imagine how your own idea will play a part in this unique event.
Submissions are open for funding of up to $3000. Innovative ideas and those that challenge traditional thoughts on art to change perceptions of creativity are encouraged.
Submissions that involve any of the following elements will be highly regarded:
- collaborations between students and staff;
- collaborations across faculties;
- cross art form projects;
- staging, performance or presentation in unusual places and spaces;
- projects that engage a large number of participants or audience.
Criteria for submissions:
- Submissions from current members of the University Community – students, academic staff, professional staff.
- Proposals may be for any type of artistic project.
- The majority of those active in creating or delivering the project must be current students or staff of the University of Newcastle.
- Ability to deliver the project during the festival period – 3 to 14 September 2018.
- Proposals may include components of development that occur prior to the festival period - such as workshops or content creation activities.
- Funding will not be available for the payment of wages or remuneration.
Submissions close Friday 24th August 2018.
Be inspired, be energised, be awed, and celebrate UON’s creative community.
With vibrant exhibitions, surprising performances, innovative installations and clever creations peppering our campus, Create brings a unique atmosphere and this year’s festival promises to be one of the best ever.
So take a break from your desk during the weeks of 3-14 September, and discover the works that have emerged from the imagination of our students and staff. Even if you’re not performing or exhibiting, there will still be opportunities for you to get involved (being an extra, interacting with exhibitions, etc.)
The events are all free and located conveniently for you all around campus so you can make the most of our jam packed schedule. Keep an eye out for the schedule for Create 2018.
Prepare to be surprised. Previous Create pieces have included a giant claw machine created from scratch by IT, Psychology & Engineering students, a giant whoopee cushion in the Brennan Room, a huge snake in the Shortland Building that spanned the distance between Subway & the Godfrey Tanner Bar, interactive canvases, and winged trees.
Who knows what 2018 will bring?