UON is committed to providing an environment where all staff can reach their potential.
Our University is acknowledged as a leader in providing opportunities for people from all walks of life. We are proud to empower you and our students with the ability and determination to succeed in higher education and make your mark.
We create a working environment that:
- reflects and celebrates diversity
- practises affirmative action
- offers equal opportunity
- is free from discrimination and harassment
NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016-2025 outlines key strategies that aim to ensure the University enhances and promotes a positive staff experience. For more information on our commitment to our values, please refer to the Code of Conduct (PDF, 211KB).
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are proud of our diverse workforce and believe the equal employment opportunities we provide to people with ability, regardless of their background or circumstances, is what contributes to UON's vibrant workplace culture.
At UON we provide an equal opportunity for all people to be given fair consideration for a job or job related benefits, regardless of their gender, race, colour, age, marital or parental status, sexual preference, disability or religious belief.
All of our staff contribute to an Equal Employment Opportunity university. Potential and current staff members have the right to:
- a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination and harassment
- competitive merit-based selection for recruitment or promotion
- training and development
- equal access to benefits and conditions, including flexible working arrangements
- fair processes to deal with work related grievances
To continue an Equal Employment Opportunity workplace, UON staff members have a responsibility to:
- work to their full potential
- recognise the skills and talents of other staff members
- act to prevent harassment and discrimination against others
- respect differences (including cultural and social diversity) among colleagues
- treat people fairly
Equity target groups
As a part of NeW Futures, we have implemented fair policies and guidelines to assist and empower people from equity target groups. These groups include: