Friends of the University Thelma Wright Memorial Nursing Scholarship
10 March 2017
DonorFriends of the University of Newcastle
The Friends of the University were established in 1981 to foster an awareness of the University and its place in the community and to conduct activities including fundraising that promote the interests of the University. Since that time the Friends have raised over $1,000,000 and contributed towards scholarships, art works, music, rare books, infrastructure and more.
Thelma Wright was a long standing committee member who raised the proposal in 2006 to establish a scholarship for a nursing student, and her proposal was accepted the following year as The Nursing Scholarship. With the unexpected death of Thelma Wright in December 2008, the committee named the scholarship after her. A fitting recognition of her involvement with the establishment of the Friends of the University and twenty-eight years she had served on the committee with major involvement in every Book Fair.
Applicable to: Nursing, Nurses, 2nd year, Second year, Health and Medicine Students, high achievers.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in 2nd year of an undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle, be enrolled in a Nursing program in the Faculty of Health and Medicine.
- Be enrolled full-time (minimum 30 units).
- Demonstrate academic achievement by having a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or higher.
- Demonstrate that you are affected by educational disadvantage, such as carer or sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A written statement (approx 1 A4 page) outlining your academic achievement to date, experience of educational disadvantage, and how this scholarship would assist you and your career aspirations.
- Optional: any documents supporting your claims, such as your CV, evidence of achievements, centrelink income statement, health care card. Please limit to just a few documents which support relevant eligibility criteria only.
The scholarship currently provides a total benefit of $4,000 to be paid in two equal payments of $2,000 following Semester 1 and Semester 2 census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents. Academic merit will be taken into account.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759