OS-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students, who are based in Australia, to undertake an overseas experience. Students may receive one loan per 6 month study period for one or two overseas study periods.
Any student applying for an OS-HELP loan must have completed 80 units of study prior to receiving the loan and have 10 units remaining to complete upon return to Australia.
Semester Exchange - You must be receiving a minimum of 30 units of credit for your semester exchange.
Academic short course - You must be receiving atleast 10 or 20 units of credit for your academic short course depending on the length of the course.
Study tour / Placement / Internship - The overseas experience must count directly towards the completion of a specific course.
For 2016, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is:
- $6,470 (if you will not be studying in Asia); or
- $7,764 if you will be studying in Asia; and
- an additional $1,035 if you will be undertaking Asian language study in preparation for study in Asia.
Applying for OS-HELP
To apply for OS-HELP, you will need to complete a hardcopy application form which can be collected from the Hunter Hub, Callaghan Campus. You will need to hand this form back into the Hunter Hub with the following required documents:
- Semester Exchange / Academic Short course – Signed credit agreement and acceptance letter from overseas institution outlining dates of the program
- Study tour / Placement / Internship – Confirmation letter signed by convenor / course coordinator
OS-HELP is administered by the Fees & Scholarships section. If you have an enquiry, please contact Fees@newcastle.edu.au