Associations and societies often provide relevant and up to date information about a variety of issues relating to specific industry sectors. These can be a good starting point to learn more about occupations through profiles, industry news, links to academic journals and information on research developments. Many also offer student membership, conference and professional development activities, newsletters and the opportunity to participate in projects.Membership to a professional organisation can provide:
- profession-specific information e.g. accreditation requirements
- networking opportunities
- individual and collective advocacy
- professional development opportunities
- access to professional codes of conduct and professional ethics
- professional recognition.
For a comprehensive listing of professional societies and associations related to every major, visit Degrees to Careers.