Studying at the University of Newcastle gives our students the best of both worlds – inside and out.
Our campuses at Newcastle, Central Coast and Port Macquarie are situated in beautiful bushland settings, which are great backdrops for outdoor study spaces. Students taking a break from study can meet up with friends in a sunny, tree-lined environment. Better still, students can take advantage of the wireless access to move their study outside.
We have large places to celebrate with our Great Hall hosting graduation ceremonies regularly throughout the year. Information commons provide 24-hour service in bright lounge-style learning spaces. They feature computers, individual work cubicles, printing facilities, and cafes, as well as student rovers on hand to offer you support.
Our libraries provide a stimulating learning environment with collaborative study booths, computer outlets and cafes. You can call up assignments, join tutorial group internet discussions or access one of the libraries 80,000 journals or 300,000 eBooks. Or you can roam the book stacks to look for more traditional resource materials.
Each course you take at the University is supported by an online learning system where you can access and interact with fellow students and lecturers in an online space. The system means you always know what's happening in your courses and have handy access to lecture, reading and assessment material. The enhanced high definition video conferencing equipment in our lecture theatres allows you to replay high quality lecture recordings.
Practical teaching spaces
- Our law students tackle mock legal cases in the Harris Wheeler Court Room.
- Nursing and health science students gain clinical training at our state-of-the-art simulated hospital ward.
- A new Radiation Therapy Simulation Lab with lasers gives radiotherapy students hands on experience.
- Food technology students train in a test kitchen as part of the product development process.
- A digital design studio for architecture students is equipped with world leading computational design technologies.
- World class science facilities include nanoscience and chemistry laboratories, mathematics grid room and psychology clinic.
- Our engineering students gain hands on training in our state-of-the-art engineering laboratories.
- Communication students learn in a full broadcast-quality digital television studio, radio studio, post production video and audio edit suites.