Student Placement Information

NSW Ministry of Health Clinical Placement Requirements

While placements occur in a range of settings, the majority of students will have at least one placement in a NSW Ministry of Health Facility. All students must complete the following in order to be 'verified' for placement in a NSW Health Facility:

  • undergo a Criminal Record Check and receive a National Police Certificate (NSW residents must apply from NSW Police; international students must apply from Australian Federal Police)
  • signed NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement for Students Undertaking Clinical Placements
  • meet immunisation requirements
  • completed NSW Health Form 2.  Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
  • completed NSW Health Form 3.  Student Undertaking/Declaration

These requirements are NSW Health requirements, not the University of Newcastle requirements.

Please note:  NSW Health does NOT require your WWC (Working With Children) Check or your First Aid Certificate. Please check with your Placement Officer if this is a program specific requirement, and please do NOT send these documents to NSW Health as part of your verification requirements.

Download and print the Faculty of Health and Medicine Student Placement Checklist to make sure you know about all the requirements:

Callaghan Students - 2014 Callaghan Checklist

Central Coast Students - 2014 Central Coast Checklist

Port Macquarie Students - 2014 Port Macquarie Checklist

How Important Is This?

These requirements are VERY important!!

If you do not meet them, you WILL NOT be allocated a clinical placement. If you do not complete your clinical placement, you will not meet your course requirements, which means you will not graduate from your chosen degree.

You must be verified as having met requirements by NSW Health Facility Staff at least 7 days before your first day of placement in a NSW Health Facility, or you will not be permitted to attend. Meeting these requirements is your responsibility, but all the info you'll need is right here.

What you need to do:

To successfully complete your verification before you begin your clinical placement, please read the following information about the requirements you need to meet. Although these have been labelled as steps, you do not have to finish the first step before moving on to the second.

Once you have completed these please read HOW DO I SUBMIT MY DOCUMENTS to find out how you submit the information.

More information about the requirements for placement in NSW Health can be found at We strongly recommend you visit this site to find out more about verification, why immunisation is important and what you should do if you have a criminal record.

You can also hear from other students about the verification process as well as find copies of the forms you need to complete.

This requirement is part of the NSW Ministry of Health's duty of care to patients and clients receiving health care in NSW and falls under the NSW Ministry of Health Employment Screening Policy.

A National Police Certificate (NPC) can be obtained from either the NSW Police (NSW Residents) or Australian Federal Police (International Students). Both certificates are printed on secure paper (which has a number of security features) used by all Australian Police Services.

NSW Police - NSW Residents

- applications normally take 10-14 working days to complete but can take up to 20 days

- applications must be completed online

- there is a fee of $52 which must be paid by the student directly to the Police Service

- further information

Australian Federal Police - International Students

- applications can take up to 25 days to process

- applications can be completed online or printed and posted

- further information

- there is a fee of $42 which must be paid by the student directly to the Police Service

National Police Checks must be obtained at the student's expense. 

Any other criminal record checks are not accepted by NSW Health. 

Important: the name appearing on the Certificate must exactly match that displayed on your student identification card. If they do not match the Certificate will not be accepted by the NSW Ministry of Health. If your name changes during the course of your degree you will need to obtain and submit a new NPC.

Specific immunisation requirements are outlined in the NSW Health Policy Directive (Document No: PD 2011_005): Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination against Specified Infectious Diseases.

What Immunisations Do I Need?

You need to provide NSW Health with evidence that you are immune to a range of diseases. This may require you receiving additional immunisations to those you already have.

Read over the summary of what immunity and evidence you need (PDF 137 KB). It is advisable that you print one of these documents and take it to your GP to discuss what you need to do.

All immunisations, serology reports etc., must be obtained at the student's expense. Some immunisations are provided free of charge by the Commonwealth Government so be sure to ask your GP if you are eligible.

Immunisation courses can require multiple treatments and can take up to 6 months to complete. It is a NSW Health directive that immunisations and serology (blood tests) must be completed within 6 months of course commencement. So get started NOW!

The University Health Service has undertaken to supply the vaccines at near cost when one must be purchased. See a list of prices.

What do I need to do for NSW Health?

You need to provide a number of documents to NSW Health in order for your disease immunity to be assessed:

The Code of Conduct sets standards of ethical and professional conduct in NSW Health. You must read the full Code and print, complete and sign.

 International students also require the following:

  • Overseas Police Certificate from all countries of residence (with English translation)


  • Statutory Declaration stating you have/do not have criminal convictions/pending charges from your home country or any country that you have resided in. If you do have such records, you must provide details, listing the offences, the dates and any court outcomes.