Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC)
The University of Newcastle Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) operates in accordance with the NHMRC National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2007 (updated 2018).
The HREC reviews human research projects conducted at UON, or by UON staff or students. Under the National Statement, the committee is required to have a minimum membership that includes:
- a Chairperson with suitable experience;
- at least two lay people, one man and one woman, who have no affiliation with UON and are not currently engaged in medical, scientific, legal or academic work;
- at least one person with knowledge of and current experience in the professional care, treatment or counselling of people, e.g. a nurse, doctor or allied health professional;
- at least one person who performs a pastoral care role in a community, e.g. an Aboriginal elder or minister of religion; and
- at least one lawyer.
In addition, the HREC has members of UON academic staff who have research experience relevant to the areas in the University which are active in human research.
The University of Newcastle is seeking expressions of interest for vacancies on the Human Research Ethics Committee.
Community (volunteer) positions are available for:
- Lay people, who have no affiliation with the University and are not currently engaged in medical, scientific, legal or academic work;
- Lawyer; and
- Pastoral Care - someone who performs a pastoral care role in the community, e.g.., an Aboriginal elder, minister of religion.
Members not affiliated with the University are reimbursed travel and other extraneous costs associated with performing their duties as a member.
Academic staff positions are available for:
- Academic Division
- Engineering & Built Environment
- Indigenous Research
Academic appointments also serve as Research Ethics Advisors (REA) in their College. For further information see REAs - Role and Responsibilities.
Applicants will be invited to participate in a brief interview (via Zoom or telephone).
If you wish to express interest in joining the Committee in future, please complete the relevant form below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expressions of interest close Wednesday 10 March 2021.
If you would like further information on HREC membership, please email email@example.com
Constitution and Membership
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.