Beach cafe

There are various costs to take into account when considering whether to apply to study abroad.

Tuition Fees

ProgramFees to UoNComments
Exchange students Nil Students coming to UoN as part of the Exchange program should consult their International Exchange Advisor at their home university regarding fees prior to arrival. Exchange students are required to pay the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) charge.
Study Abroad students $8600* per semester** This fee does not include international and domestic travel, accommodation, meals, text books, living costs, any special excursion costs, personal spending, Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) or the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) charge.

* This is the 2019 rate. Please note that the rate for subsequent years is subject to change.

**If you are coming to the University of Newcastle via a partner institution or agent, please see your Student Advisor as to whether you may be eligible to receive a discount on the tuition fee listed above. This will be listed on your offer letter as total Indicative Tuition Fee.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

OSHC is insurance to help international students meet the cost of any medical and hospital care they need while in Australia. OSHC also pays limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

It is a condition of your Australian student visa that you are covered by one of the Australian OSHC providers outlined by the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. All students undertaking formal studies in Australia (and their dependents) must maintain OSHC for the duration of their time in Australia.

The University of Newcastle's preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Global Assistance and you will be notified of the cost on your letter of offer.

Student Services Amenities Fee (SSAF)

During 2012, Australian universities, including the University of Newcastle, introduced a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) to improve the services and amenities offered to all students.

The SSAF amount will be invoiced upfront, separately from your course fees in each term you are enrolled.

Living Costs

In addition to the tuition and fees above, you will be responsible for other costs during your time in Australia, such as:

  • Living costs including accommodation, food, clothing, transport, entertainment etc
  • Incidental expenses including books, equipment required for your studies, Internet, sporting memberships etc.

If you wish to read more on the costs you are likely to incur in Australia, it is strongly recommended that you visit the University's costs of living webpage.