Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC)
- The Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) operates in accordance with the NHMRC National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research 2007. It is required to have a minimum membership which includes:
- a Chairperson with suitable experience,
- at least two lay people, one man and one woman, who have no affiliation with the University and are not currently engaged in medical, scientific, legal or academic work,
- at least one person with knowledge of and current experience in the professional care, treatment or counselling of people, e.g. a nurse, doctor or allied health professional,
- at least one person who performs a pastoral care role in a community, e.g. an Aboriginal elder or minister of religion and
- at least one lawyer.
In addition, the HREC has members from the University academic staff who have research experience relevant to the areas in the University which are active in human research.
The University is currently seeking expressions of interest from internal academic staff, who wish to be considered for vacancies on the University's Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC).
Positions for internal academic staff
Positions are available for academic staff from the following areas:
- Engineering and Built Environment; and
It is anticipated that those who nominate for these positions will also agree to be a Research Ethics Advisor (REA) in their Faculty. For further information see REAs - Role and Responsibilities (PDF 31 KB).
If you wish to submit an expression of interest, please complete the following form:
Expressions of Interest can be submitted via mail or email.
Positions open to members of the community
There are currently no community member positions available.
If you would like further information, please contact:
Ms Ruth Gibbins
Senior Human Research Ethics Officer
Research Integrity Unit
The NIER Precinct
The University of Newcastle
Callaghan NSW 2308
T: 02 492 16333