$5.5 million boost to student services
University of Newcastle students are set to benefit from a $5.5 million injection into services and amenities across all campuses and online.
Funded by the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), after extensive student consultation and feedback, the investment will fund initiatives to benefit the health and welfare of students, provide advice and support, and deliver recreational activities such as:
• developing ‘fitness trails’, in partnership with NUsport, that take advantage of Callaghan’s bushland location and the natural setting of the Ourimbah Valley;
• connecting students with services that help them with accommodation, financial matters, legal concerns and employment;
• setting up a professional advocacy office with qualified staff to support students’ interests or needs;
• extending the careers service to improve access to personal careers counselling, both face-to-face and online; and
• expanding informal and social learning spaces where students can relax and access wireless internet.