Five reasons to choose UON
When you choose to study at the University of Newcastle, you choose a world-class university recognised for excellence in teaching and research. Our degrees will prepare you for the real-world and are designed to expose you to new ideas, new ways of thinking and equip you with the knowledge and skills to be successful in a competitive global market.
1. Newcastle uni ranked in the top 3% in the world
The University of Newcastle is ranked in the top 3% of universities in the world, according to two global independent ranking systems1.
This means out of more than 9,000 universities in the world we are in the top 300.
The statistics say it all, we are:
- Ranked in the top 300 universities in the world according to two independent ranking systems1.
- Ranked in the top 50 universities in the world under 50 years of age2.
- Ranked as a five star university for research1.
- Equal seventh in Australia for research that is 'above world standard'3.
- Ranked in Australia's top 10 universities for research funding.
- Rated at or above world standard for more than 90 per cent of our research3.
- Home to experts who are in the top one per cent in the world for their field such as breast cancer researcher, Professor John Forbes.
Many of our degrees are recognised as among the best in the world, we are:
- The only university in Australia to achieve a top rating for social work research3.
- One of only two universities in the country to achieve a top rating in applied mathematics, biochemistry and cell biology, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering research3.
- Ranked in the top 100 universities in the world for civil and structural engineering and geography1.
- Ranked in the top 150 universities in the world for education, English language and literature1.
- Ranked in the top 200 universities in the world for medicine1.
2. OUR GRADUATES GET JOBS
Our graduates are successful, career ready and in demand: nearly three quarters (73 per cent) find a full-time job within four months of completing their bachelor degree4, testament that a degree from the University of Newcastle is highly valued in both national and international job markets.
As well as finding great jobs quickly, our graduates earn a median starting salary that is $2,000 higher than the national average4.
- Our highest earning first year bachelor degree graduates are engineers, with salaries as high as $67,000 per annum4.
- Graduates of our Bachelor of Construction Management earn 15 per cent more than those from other Australian universities4.
At the University of Newcastle, the majority of our degrees are designed to give you the real-world experience you need to hit the ground running when you graduate.
More than 90 per cent of our undergraduate degrees include the opportunity to participate in work-integrated learning:
- Our Joint Medical Program is recognised internationally for teaching methods that focus on patient scenarios and our graduates are sought after in hospitals throughout rural, regional and metropolitan Australia.
- Our Podiatry clinic at Wyong Hospital allows students to learn in a supervised environment and provide podiatry services to members of the community.
- Most of our health degrees include clinical experience in public hospitals across New South Wales.
- In the competitive area of law, our graduates are recognised for specialised skills gained through work in the University of Newcastle Legal Centre. Our professional program enables graduates to practise law directly after completing their degree.
- The Law on the Beach program sees our staff and students offer free legal advice to beach-goers each summer. Students put their legal skills into practice at a drop-in clinic at the Newcastle Surf Life Saving Club.
- Our Lucy Mentoring Program gives female business students the opportunity to shadow corporate executives in the areas of accounting, business, finance, economics and law.
- Communication students who are looking for a career in online media or radio journalism are encouraged to get involved with our community radio station, 2NURFM. The station offers students time on-air through work experience and internships.
- Education students gain valuable classroom experience throughout their degree, culminating in a 10-week internship in either a primary or secondary school.
3. WORLD-CLASS EDUCATION
Choose from more than 85 high quality undergraduate degrees recognised as among the best in the world.
We attract individuals who want to make a difference in the world through our cutting edge technology and facilities and access to award winning teachers that blend the latest discipline education with professional training.
At the University of Newcastle, you will benefit from purpose built facilities and the latest technology. Most of our degrees give you the opportunity to study both face-to-face and online.
- Our Conservatorium of Music features a 500-seat concert hall, with concert grand pianos, multiple teaching and practice studios and early music instruments such as harpsichords.
- Our new radiation therapy simulation lab is the only one of its kind in Australia.
- We have a purpose-built Oral Health Clinic at our Central Coast campus, where students provide dental check-up services to staff, students and members of the community under qualified supervision.
- The new Exercise and Sport Science facility at our Central Coast campus features extensive physiology and biomechanics laboratories as well as a fully equipped gym.
From the city to the bush to the beach, the University of Newcastle has it all covered. We offer more than a place to study; it's a way of life.
Our campuses at Newcastle, the Central Coast and Port Macquarie offer a unique lifestyle of beaches, cafes and music, as well as being cost-effective, friendly places to live. In Sydney and Singapore we offer a diverse and vibrant city campus study experience.
We are proud that more Indigenous students choose to study with us than at any other Australian university. Our Indigenous enrolments have grown more than 20 per cent in recent years and we are home to the highly respected Wollotuka Institute.
Everyone's pathway to uni is different and we believe that everyone should have access to a world-class eduction regardless of their background and experiences. We are a leader in providing students from low income backgrounds with the preparation and support to reach their full potential.
To provide an alternative entry pathway and to prepare students for uni life, we offer a range of enabling programs – Open Foundation, Newstep and Yapug.
Our Open Foundation program is the largest of its kind in Australia, and has been successfully providing people, aged 20 years and over, access to undergraduate study for more than 30 years. Approximately 85 per cent of students that complete our Open Foundation program go on to enrol in an undergraduate degree.
4. OUR STUDENTS GIVE US TOP MARKS FOR TEACHING
When you study with us, you will be inspired by innovative teachers who are recognised nationally and internationally in their fields of research and industry.
Our graduates acknowledge the high quality of our teaching staff, rating them in the upper quarter of Australian universities and giving them an overall satisfaction rating of 82 per cent5.
Our teaching staff come from across the world, bringing with them a diverse wealth of knowledge.
You will discover a rewarding and challenging learning environment and be inspired to learn in new and innovative ways by teachers who think 'outside the box'.
Five University of Newcastle teaching staff received acclaim in the Office for Learning and Teaching 2013 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning. These prestigious awards recognise teachers who have made a significant contribution to the quality of student learning. The 2013 winners are:
- Dr Vivienne Chuter, Senior Lecturer, School of Health Sciences - For development of an innovative, progressive, accelerated curriculum that maximises student engagement using unique integrated clinical resources.
- Dr Tim Connor, Lecturer, Newcastle Law School - For developing creative in-class activities and establishing supportive learning environments to motivate diverse student cohorts to master and critically reflect on complex business law topics.
- Dr Jocelyn McKinnon, Lecturer, School of Creative Arts - For designing and implementing a dynamic research driven degree major in Creative Arts that fosters independent thinking and innovative art making.
- Dr Ruth Reynolds, Associate Professor, School of Education - For outstanding impact on an area of curriculum and teaching - Humanities and Social Sciences education.
- Dr Mark Rubin, Senior Lecturer, School of Psychology - For developing a unique collection of high-quality online guides that explain academic skills in psychology and that have enhanced students' learning and overall experience.
As one of Australia's most research-intensive universities hosting more than 200 research academics, you will learn in an academic environment that encourages analytical thinking and intrinsic problem solving.
You will be challenged to develop new theories, new solutions and new ways of thinking from the very beginning of your undergraduate degree. Our summer vacation scholarships are an opportunity to undertake supervised research in an area relevant to your degree before you graduate, an outstanding experience that will enhance your skills and learning experience.
5. EXPLORE THE WORLD WHILE YOU STUDY
Make your mark on the world with a unique study experience that enables you to travel the world, experience new cultures and continue your studies all at the same time.
Our overseas study opportunities are life changing cultural and academic experiences, that will enhance your career prospects and leaderships skills, to prepare you for an increasingly global society.
Through our Study Abroad program you can choose from a range of exciting destinations across the world. You'll not only have the opportunity to experience new cultures and make new connections, but the study you do may be credited towards your degree.
Chose from exchange, short-course, volunteering or internship programs, and you could be eligible for travel grants and scholarships.
We have over 100 partner universities, choose from Canada, China, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, France, Honduras, India, Italy, Japan, Nepal, Rwanda, South Africa, Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Vietnam, and many more amazing international destinations.
If you're the type of person who is inspired by world leaders, or by people who show extraordinary leadership, iLEAD can give you the opportunity to gain experience and skills in the areas of leadership and international awareness through volunteering, studying abroad, and taking part in short programs.
iLEAD can be completed in a year or over the duration of your degree.
- QS Stars World University Rankings 2013, Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013
- QS 'Top 50 Under 50' 2014, Times Higher Education '100 Under 50' 2013,
- QS Stars World University Rankings 2013
- Excellence in Research 2012
- Higher Education Research Data Collection
- Australian Graduate Survey 2013
- QS Subject Rankings 2014