Costs and scholarships

Invest in your future

Image of current UoN students.There are costs involved in studying at university but don't let this deter you from achieving your goals - there are systems and support schemes in place to help you.

We have a range of support systems and scholarships available to help you with the costs involved in studying at university.

On 13 May 2014, the Treasurer announced in the Federal Budget changes to the way degrees are funded. The proposed reforms would take effect from 1 January 2016, subject to legislation. Information on the Department of Education website contains the latest updates on these reforms and how they may relate to you.

How much does university cost?

The cost of your study will depend on which degree you are accepted into and which courses (subjects) you study as part of that degree. Costs will also alter depending on how many courses you take at any one time.

If you are an eligible domestic student, you have the option of taking out a loan for your uni fees under a HELP scheme such as HECS-HELP.

Remember that your budget will need to allow for things such as textbooks and specific resources associated with your chosen degree.

Find out more detailed information about fees.

If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or Australian permanent humanitarian visa holder, or New Zealand citizen residing in Australia, visit international tuition fees.

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is one way the University of Newcastle delivers an outstanding experience for students across our campuses and online.

Following extensive student consultation and feedback, funds raised from SSAF are directed into programs and initiatives that look after the health and welfare of students, provide advice and support, and deliver recreational services. 

SSAF is charged each term of study to a maximum of $281 for the year (full-time study) and $210 (part-time study). Note that SSAF will be indexed annually.

Eligible domestic students are able to take advantage of a SA-HELP loan to cover this expense.

Image of current UoN student.Payment options

Firstly the good news – it is important to know that most students don't pay the fees for their degree up front, so you don't have to worry about being able to afford your degree right now.

If you are a domestic undergraduate student, you will be offered a Commonwealth Supported Place for your study. This means that the Australian Government pays for the cost of some of your degree, and you pay the rest in the form of a student contribution.

You can pay your student contribution in full, partially or, if eligible, defer it completely through a HECS-HELP loan.

Eligible students who make partial payments or who choose not to pay will have any outstanding balances deferred to the Australian Tax Office (ATO) via a HECS-HELP loan.

Full payment of your student contribution, and partial payments of $500 or more, paid to the University before the census date, attract a discount.

New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent resident visa holders do not receive a discount and are required to pay their student contribution in full to the University by the census date in each term of study.

To make uni more affordable, the Australian Government offers students a loan under the HECS Higher Education Loan Program (HECS-HELP) scheme.

This loan is available to Australian citizens and Australian permanent humanitarian visa holders enrolled in Commonwealth Supported Places.

You won't actually get the money - the government covers the cost of your contribution by paying the loan amount directly to the uni on your behalf.

How it works:

  • As part of your enrolment you will need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF).
  • Supply the uni with your tax file number to enable the University to report your HELP loan to the Tax Office.
  • When you start working and your income reaches a certain threshold, your HELP loan will be repaid each year through the taxation system.
  • The amount you have to pay each year depends on how much you earn.

If you defer part or all of your student contribution, compulsory repayments start when you are earning over a predetermined amount.

SA-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay their Student Services and Amenities Fees.

If you are eligible, you can choose to defer all or part of the fee each year.

To receive a SA-HELP loan, you need to:

  • Be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent humanitarian visa
  • Be enrolled in a degree - non award students are not eligible for SA-HELP
  • Complete a Commonwealth Assistance form for SA-HELP
  • Provide your tax file number details to the University

You can take out a SA-HELP loan if you do not have a HECS-HELP loan provided you meet all other eligibility criteria.

The Student Loans Scheme provides interest free emergency loans on a short term basis to students who demonstrate genuine need and whose continued study might be placed in jeopardy if assistance were not available.

Loans may be approved for rent, bond, living expenses and textbooks. Loans are not available for the payment of HECS or to purchase capital items such as computers or cars.

Support schemes are available from the Australian Government to help you continue your studies.

Specific criteria must be met to be eligible. Phone Centrelink on 13 24 90 for more information or visit the Department of Human Services.

The HECS-HELP Benefit aims to encourage graduates of maths, science, education and nursing to take up employment in specified occupations, and to encourage early childhood education teachers working in specified locations.

Graduates need to apply for the benefit annually. It is not a cash payment but reduces your compulsory HELP repayment or accumulated HELP debt.

Image of UoN scholarship recipient, Alex.Scholarships

The University of Newcastle offers scholarships ranging from $500 right through to $15,000 per year.

A scholarship can help with all kinds of study costs including textbooks, fees, accommodation and living expenses.

Several scholarships on offer include work placements relevant to your degree, which can provide you with invaluable career contacts.

While many of the scholarships consider academic performance, we also award scholarships for sport, specific degrees, Indigenous students or even travel.