- PhD, Texas A & M University, 15/12/2007
- Natural resource management
- Person-place relationship
- People-place relationships in a constantly changing world: focusing on exploring the interconnectedness of the social and ecological system and applying this understanding to enhancing the resilience capacity of the social-ecological system with an emphasis in the tourism/recreation setting and urban-rural interface
- Sustainable tourism: focusing on the analysis of the social, ecological, and cultural impacts of, and sustainable planning for nature-based tourism and ecotourism
- Marketing research: focusing on the application of social marketing and relationship marketing to facilitating a sense of natural resource stewardship among visitors of public lands
Fields of Research
|150699||Tourism Not Elsewhere Classified||50|
|150399||Business And Management Not Elsewhere Classified||25|
|150599||Marketing Not Elsewhere Classified||25|
- People-place relationships in a constantly changing world: focusing on exploring the interconnectedness of the social and ecological system and applying this understanding to enhancing the resilience capacity of the social-ecological system with an emphasis in the tourism/recreation setting and urban-rural interface.
- Sustainable tourism: focusing on the analysis of the social, ecological, and cultural impacts of, and sustainable planning for nature-based tourism and ecotourism.
- Marketing research: focusing on the application of social marketing and relationship marketing to facilitating a sense of natural resource stewardship among visitors of public lands.
For publications that are currently unpublished or in-press, details are shown in italics.
Click on a category title below to expand the list of citations for that specific category.
Journal article (7 outputs)
|2013||Lai P-H, Hsu Y-C, Nepal SK, 'Representing the landscape of Yushan National Park', Annals of Tourism Research, 43 37-57 (2013) [C1]|
|2012||Lai P-H, Kreuter UP, 'Examining the direct and indirect effects of environmental change and place attachment on land management decisions in the Hill Country of Texas, USA', Landscape and Urban Planning, 104 320-328 (2012) [C1]|
|2011||Lai P-H, Lyons KD, 'Place-meaning and Sustainable Land Management: Motivations of Texas Hill Country Landowners', Tourism Geographies, 13 360-380 (2011) [C1]|
|2009||Lai P-H, Sorice MG, Nepal SK, Cheng C-K, 'Integrating social marketing into sustainable resource management at Padre Island National Seashore: An attitude-based segmentation approach', Environmental Management, 43 985-998 (2009) [C1]|
|Show 4 more|
Conference (3 outputs)
|2013||Grimstad S, Lai P-H, Lyons K, Kyle G, 'Exploring the impact of extractive industries on an Australian rural community.', Conference booklet, Melbourne (2013) [E3]|
|2007||Lai PH, 'Building stewardship with recreation users: an approach of market segmentation to meet the goal of public-lands management', Proceedings of the 2006 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium, Lake George, Bolton Landing, New York, USA (2007) [E1]|
|2005||Lai P-H, Shafer S, 'Understanding ecotourism: how eco-lodges convey themselves through internet information' (2005) [E1]|
Grants and Funding
|Number of grants||1|
Click on a grant title below to expand the full details for that specific grant.
2009 (1 grants)
A place-meaning approach to building partnerships and collaboration among stakeholders of national parks for sustainable tourism and natural resource management$4,995
Funding Body: University of Newcastle
|Doctor Po-Hsin Lai|
|New Staff Grant||Chief Investigator|
|Total Amount||Funding Start||Funding Finish|
|Number of current supervisions||1|
|Total current UoN PhD EFTSL||0.35|
For supervisions undertaken at an institution other that the University of Newcastle, the institution name is listed below the program name.
|Program||Supervisor Type||Research Title|
|2010||2014||PhD (Leisure & Tourism)||Co-Supervisor||Investigating Thai Accommodation Managers¿ Environmental Management Practices: A Behavioural Intentions Approach|
Dr Po-Hsin Lai
|Work Phone||(02) 4921 6787|
Newcastle Business School
Faculty of Business and Law
The University of Newcastle, Australia
Callaghan NSW 2308