Dr Peter Khoury is a Lecturer in Sociology and Social Policy based at the Central Coast Campus at Ourimbah. He holds an Honours degree and a PhD in Sociology from the University of New South Wales. Previously he held teaching and senior research positions at the University of NSW and UTS. He has published in the areas of Social Policy and Indigenous Health.
His research interests are focussed on Inequality, Social Policy and the Sociology of Health and Illness. His current research projects involve a critical appraisal of Neoliberalism and Managerialism and the ways in which they have impacted on government policies and services in the health and social welfare sectors. His work as an academic and educator is embedded in a strong commitment to social justice and the advocacy of principles of fairness, equity, social inclusion and ethical practice in social policy and public institutions.
Peter has received several teaching awards and has extensive postgraduate supervision experience in the areas of Social Policy and the State; Health Care and Disability; Indigenous Health; Identity and Cultural Politics; and Multiculturalism and Service Provision. Recent Postgraduate and PhD research supervision involved projects on the following topics:
- Aboriginal Women and Diabetes in Rural and Remote Communities.
- Family Dynamics, Bilingualism and Multicultural Policy in the Newcastle and Hunter Region of New South Wales.
- Work, Family and Gender: Policy Directions under the Howard Administration.
- Nationalism, Exclusion and Identity Politics on the Central Coast of New South Wales.
His current teaching involves courses on Social Policy and Social Justice; the Sociology of the Family; Health, Illness and Society; Human Service Organisations; and a critical appraisal of Neoliberalism and the State. A new course on the Sociology of Death and Dying has been developed and taught since 2012 as part of the Social Science program at the Central Coast campus of the University of Newcastle.
- PhD, University of New South Wales, 14/10/1997
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of New South Wales, 31/12/1987
- Health, Illness and Society
- Neoliberalism and the State
- Social Policy and Social Justice
The impact of Neoliberalism on the Community Services Sector
Social Aspects of Health and Illness
Social Justice and Indigenous Government Policy
Fields of Research
|111708||Health And Community Services||40|
|169999||Studies In Human Society Not Elsewhere Classified||20|
- Australian Families: A Sociological Introduction
- Policy and Program Evaluation
- Social Justice and the Welfare State
- Social Policy
- Social Science Research
- The Sociology of Health and Illness
- Working in Human Service Organisations
Grants and Funding
|Number of current supervisions||1|
|Total current UoN PhD EFTSL||0.5|
|Program||Supervisor Type||Research Title|
|2013||2017||PhD (Sociology & Anthropology)||Co-Supervisor||An Exploration of Australian Identity in a Coastal Landscape|
Dr Peter Khoury
|Work Phone||(02) 4348 4071|
|Fax||(02) 4348 4075|
School of Humanities and Social Science
Faculty of Education and Arts
The University of Newcastle, Australia
|Focus Area||Sociology and Anthropology|
10 Chittaway Road
Ourimbah NSW 2258