Move out

It’s almost the end of the semester, which means move out day for our residents is fast approaching! To make sure your move out experience is as easy and hassle-free as possible, there are a few things you need to know.

We hope you've had the best time living with us here at Student Living and we wish you all the best for the future!


You are required to check out and return your room keys to the Student Living reception located at West Residence.

  • Evatt House residents: No later than 10am on Sunday 29 November 2020
  • Standard Stay residents: No later than 10am on Sunday 6 December 2020
  • Long Stay residents: No later than 10am on Wednesday 16 December 2020
    (if you are staying on for Summer Stay or have an approved extension please refer to your email for instructions)

If you are unable to hand in your keys on time, unfortunately you will be charged the casual room rate until the keys are returned. If you have lost any of your keys, please alert the Student Living office as soon as possible prior to moving out so we can arrange for replacement keys (charges apply).

Please note: You will be financially responsible for your room until your contract expires.

If you're moving out before the official move out date or you just want to speed up your check out, there are express checkout envelopes available at the Student Living office.

Please place your room keys, any bike shed keys (if applicable) and your building access card inside the envelope with your details on the front and back then seal the envelope and return to the Student Living office.

If you are unable to return your keys during office hours, you can pop them in the After-Hours Key Return Box located outside West Residence by 10am on the official move out date.

Please note: Any missing keys and/or access cards will be charged to your Student Living account.

When you're moving out, make sure to leave your room in good condition. To avoid paying any excess cleaning charges, please ensure you:

  • Clean your room and shared common spaces, including kitchens and lounge areas.
  • Remove all food items from fridge and freezer and wipe out the shelves.
  • Remove all cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils from the kitchen cupboard.
  • Remove all your personal belongings (including linen) from your room and shared common spaces.
  • Carefully remove all adhesive tape, stickers and Blu Tack from walls, doors, ceiling, mirrors and windows.
  • Place all rubbish in the bins provided. Do not leave rubbish in your room or common spaces.
  • Report any maintenance issues.

Don't forget to lock your door when leaving, otherwise you will be liable for any missing items or damage prior to the final inspection.

To make your move easier, take advantage of the recycling and donation bins around the precinct.

Clothes Donation

If you have any clothes, shoes or accessories you no longer want, you can donate them to The Smith Family. Please ensure that any clothes donated are in good condition.

At Callaghan, there are The Smith Family clothing bins located outside:

  • Edwards Hall
  • South Residence

Waste and Recycling

There are multiple recycling and general waste bins around your residence and the accommodation precinct that you can use to dispose of your unwanted items. Please make sure to dispose of your waste in the correct bins so that it doesn’t get mixed up.

Click here for the locations of the waste collection and donations points.

Prior to checking out, ensure that you have no outstanding mail at the Student Living Office or in your residential pigeon hole. You are also required to have your mail redirected to your new mailing address. Remember that any meal services or magazine subscriptions that are received in the mail are also yours to manage. It’s recommended to redirect your service or subscription prior to moving off-campus.

Once you have checked out, any outstanding mail or mail that arrives after your departure will be returned to sender.

To receive your room deposit back in full you must:

  • Check your MyHub account and pay all outstanding fees to the University.
  • Check your Student Living (accommodation portal) account and pay all outstanding fees

All refunds (less any amounts owed to Student Living or the University of Newcastle) will be directly transferred to the original credit card from which the payment was made.

In the event a refund to credit card is not possible, we may need to refund you via a bank account. Australian Domestic bank account details can be updated in MyHub to assist with this.

As per the Student Living Occupancy Licence Agreement, domestic transfers can take up to 28 days following check out. For international transfers this process can take up to 56 business days.

Please note that Student Living may keep all or part of your Room Deposit if:

  • You owe any amount to the Student Living or to the University of Newcastle (this includes Library fees, unpaid Student Services Amenities fees, excursions, etc. listed in MyHub)
  • There are extra charges for damaged or missing Student Living property (other than fair wear and tear)
  • Damage is identified or items are found to be missing  from your room at the final inspection (having regard to the room condition report at the contract commencement date)
  • There are extra charges because you have not left the accommodation in a reasonably clean condition
  • You have not returned the keys or security devices; or other as per the Student Occupancy Licence Agreement

If you need off-campus accommodation after moving out, you will need to start looking as soon as possible. The University offers a free service for University of Newcastle students seeking off-campus accommodation.

Should you require any help with finding off-campus accommodation, you can contact our Off-Campus Accommodation Officer via email at You can also take a look at the off-campus accommodation available through our Off-Campus Accommodation Portal.

If you are staying on-campus for the summer period or have an approved contract extension for 2020, please remain in your room until you receive further information regarding your move. Not everyone on an extended contract will be required to move rooms, but some residents may be required to.

To make the process easy for our maintenance team and you, please come and collect an ‘I’m still here’ door hanger to hook on your current apartment/ room door handle, and a sheet of ‘keep me’ stickers to place on the room items you plan to hold onto for your Summer Stay/Extended Stay.

We recommend consolidating your items so it’s clear to our maintenance staff which belongings need to stay. E.g. Consolidate your food to one or two fridge shelves, keep utensils to one kitchen drawer and grooming items to one bathroom shelf or box.

You will be notified via email of your new room number and move date closer to the time of the change. Still got questions? Check out our Summer Stay FAQs.

Your Move Out Checklist


If you are looking for a lost item, please email Security Services at or phone them on (02) 4921 5888 for Callaghan or 4348 4222 for the Central Coast.

You will need to provide Security Services with the following information:

  • The date and location the item was lost (if known)
  • A detailed description of the item (colour, brand, distinctive markings etc.)
  • Your contact details

Alternatively, you can visit Security Services on-campus. Security Services is located in the Services Building at the Newcastle campus (Callaghan) or in the Facilities Management Building at the Central Coast campus (Ourimbah).

All lost property will be kept for one month. After that time, if the owner cannot be identified, we will dispose of the item appropriately.

Unfortunately we cannot send forgotten items back to you. If you leave something behind, you will need to organise an alternative way to have the items delivered back to you.

If you need to store your personal items temporarily when you move-out, you will need to coordinate your own storage facilities off-campus as Student Living is unable to store any of your personal items.

Here are some local storage companies that you can use:

If you are the owner of the bike and just don’t want it anymore, simply leave your bike at the bike rack as abandoned property. Any abandoned bikes will be moved and recycled after check out.

If your bike came from The University of Newcastle Bicycle User Group (NUBUG) program, you should contact NUBUG for more information via email at

If you will be staying for Summer Stay and will be keeping your bike on campus, you will need to visit Student Living office prior to 6 December 2020. The customer service team will issue you with an identifier so that your bike is clearly identified as not being abandoned property. This will need to remain on your bike for the duration of your Summer Stay.

Unfortunately not. All bikes remaining on campus past check-out will be presumed abandoned and recycled as per the process outlined above.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.