Before you arrive

Before you arrive on campus at Student Living, there are a few things we recommend considering:

Callaghan Campus

Newcastle campus is located 12 kilometres north west of Newcastle CBD. Entrances are located on University Drive, Callaghan.

Callaghan is well serviced by both bus and train services and has excellent access to the F3 Freeway.

The Student Living Office is located on the Ground Floor of West Residence which is best accessed from University Drive.

Ourimbah Campus

Our Central Coast campus is less than five minutes from the M1 Pacific Motorway Ourimbah exit and is only an hour from both Sydney and Newcastle.

To get to the campus, take the Ourimbah exit and follow the signs. Entrances are located on Loop Road, Ourimbah.

Ourimbah is also well-serviced by public transport, including buses and trains.

Check-in is from 9am on the first day of your contract unless you have contacted Student Living and we have agreed otherwise.

All residents are required to complete an online e-induction that can be accessed through the Student Living Portal.

E-Induction covers all the basics of Student Living and includes information about moving in, student services, welfare and wellbeing, security and important documents you need to look over.

Once you've logged in to the portal, visit the 'Application' tab and then click on your contract term to complete the course.

It is recommended that all residents bring these items with them to Student Living:

  • A licence/photo ID, birth certificate and passport with copies of the originals signed by a Justice of the Peace.
  • Medicare card
  • Bath towels and bed linen
  • Kitchen equipment and utensils
  • Toiletries
  • Computer or laptop
  • Alarm clock
  • Clothes and clothes hangers
  • Laundry basket
  • Headphones
  • Mosquito repellent and sunscreen
  • Stationery

You may also bring a portable fan if you're moving into a residence without air-conditioning, but it must meet Australian safety standards.

Cooking and Dining Utensils

All catered residents have access to a shared tearoom equipped with a microwave, fridge, instant hot water and sink. Self-catered residents share a kitchen with a kettle, toaster, microwave oven, electric stove, fridge and freezer.

Self-catered residents will need to bring cooking and dining utensils such as cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils as well as pots, pans and chopping boards. Catered residents will only need to bring dining utensils and crockery (cups, bowls and plates).

Please note: Student Living does not supply toilet paper, toothpaste, cleaning products etc. so make sure to bring some with you or head down to the shops to grab some when you get here.

Residents are provided with all the equipment and furniture they will need to live comfortably on-campus. We ask all residents to leave portable air conditioners, blow-up pools, and any other major items of furniture at home - we have it all here for you.

Do not bring any items that may encourage excessive levels of intoxication or alcohol abuse such as Beer Bongs or drinking game equipment.

If any large items or appliances that are not Student Living approved or any items that encourage substance abuse are found in your room they will be confiscated or removed.

Theft and Damage

Your contents are not covered for theft or damage while you are living on-campus. We strongly recommend that you take out insurance to cover any items of value such as your car, car contents, computers, cameras, jewellery and electrical equipment that you may bring with you.

To keep yourself, your fellow residents and your property safe, please do not prop the doors to your unit open to avoid theft and/or damage.

Ambulance Cover

As part of your health care cover it is also recommended that you take out ambulance cover in the event that you require an ambulance while on-campus. The cost of ambulance call-out can be quite high – particularly if you are on a student budget. OSHC insurance (required for all International students) covers emergency ambulance, insurances, contents and ambulance.

If any Student Living staff member (including your RM) believes you require medical attention, an ambulance will be called to transport you to hospital/medical centre. It will be your responsibility to pay the cost of the ambulance if you do not have ambulance cover. We recommend checking with your parents to see if you are covered by their private health insurance that may include ambulance cover.

There are almost 1000 car spaces that are exclusive to UON residents. To access these spaces, you must have a Residential Parking Permit. Click here for more information about parking.

*please note: Residential Parking Permits can not be used to park in General, Disabled, Staff or Service bays.

To make your move on to campus even easier our Student Living offers linen packs for $165.00 that are available from the Student Living Portal. These packs include:

  • Flat sheets
  • Pillow case
  • Quilt cover
  • Plush pillow
  • Polyester fill quilt
  • Towel

*Please note: all Student Living supplied linen packs are King Single sizing.

When choosing a place to live on-campus, it's important to consider if you'd like to cook for yourself or have your meals cooked for you. Student Living offers both catered and self-catered options - Edwards Hall is fully catered and all other residences are self-catered.

If you have chosen a self-catered residence, you can still opt in for a meal plan. To find more information about catering, click here.

All UON students need a student card to access our online systems and to use the libraries, computers and travel concessions.We recommend ordering your Student Card prior to move-in so that your card is printed, ready and waiting for you to collect. To get started click here.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.