More than just a place to get your education, the University of Newcastle is a community.
Whether you’re after a bite to eat, unique cultural experiences, a group or team to join, or just a quiet place to do a bit of late-night study, the University is home to world-class spaces and venues.
Getting To Campus
We recommend planning how you will get to campus before you start, and avoiding driving if possible. There are lots of ways to get to Callaghan campus, including Active Travel (walking or cycling), Park and Ride, public transport or ride sharing.
Getting Around Campus
It’s normal to find campus difficult to navigate when you first start so we’ve got info to help you find your way.
Newcastle campus (Callaghan) and Newcastle City campus building names and rooms are commonly abbreviated, with ‘G’ and ‘LG’ often used to indicate the Ground or Lower Ground floor of a building. For example, GPLG01 is located in the General Purpose Building (GP) on the Lower Ground (LG) floor, Room 01.
Use the ‘Direction’ tile on MyUON to find your way around using Maze Maps. And don’t be shy, just ask someone if you aren’t sure where to go as it’s no excuse to miss class!
Services and Facilities
There are a range of services and facilities on campus to make sure you have access to everything you need to succeed.
- 18 food outlets to help fuel your study
- Co-Op bookshop for textbooks and other reading materials
- Print Centre for design, printing, copying needs
- Post Office
- Commonwealth Bank
- Callaghan Campus Pharmacy
- Convenience stores
- Student kitchen with access to microwaves and boiling water
- Two libraries
- Two bike hubs with free access to showers and lockers for students
- The University Gallery
- The Forum Gym
- Three childcare centres
- Health Service with access to bulk-billing General Practitioners
- Safety and Security