The University of Newcastle, Australia

At the University of Newcastle, we want all our students to achieve their academic potential and offer a broad range of support services to help you reach yours.


Our Libraries are an invaluable resource that have amazing spaces for both study and relaxation, extensive online and physical resources, and friendly staff who are here to help.

To find out more, drop into one of our campus libraries or take a virtual tour. Staff in the Service Zone can assist with enquiries or refer you to a Librarian or our Book a Librarian service for more in-depth assistance.

For online help have a look at our Subject Resource and Research GuidesOnline tutorials and referencing help. Use our Ask the Library service to chat or email us your questions, or book a Library Live session for online video chat.

Centre for Teaching and Learning

The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) runs many Learning Development workshops that students can register for free of charge, ranging from academic writing skills to mathematics. CTL also offers the opportunity for individual consultations with Learning Advisors (in person, by phone or Skype) who can help you work through your assessments and other study queries.

Further information can be found at Learning Development.


PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) provides a space where students can work through concepts, ask questions and discuss lecture details each week in a small group. The group works with a PASS Leader - a student who has already been successful in the course..

PAAS is free and available for many courses. Research shows that one hour of face-to-face PASS is the equivalent of up to three hours of solo study – so it’s a also a time saver.

Student Advisors

Student Advisors are also here to provide advice and support throughout your studies. The team can help you create an individual plan for success at UON, referring you to support that can help you with your studies. If you want to chat to someone about what’s available to help you academically, make an appointment with a Student Advisor.