Fire Safety

If you experience a fire emergency, follow these steps:

  • Call 000 from any phone or mobile – it is a free call even from a mobile phone.
  • Say the word "fire" to the operator.
  • Don't speak English? Just tell the operator your language and wait for instructions.
  • Answer the questions the operator asks.


  • Make sure your house or room has a working smoke alarm.
  • Wiring and electrical devices can overheat from too much use, especially in older buildings, so don't overload powerboards or double adaptors.
  • Keep electric heaters and radiators at least a metre from your bed, furniture or any curtains.
  • Remember to turn off all appliances when finished cooking. Most household fires occur in the kitchen when grease, oil or other flammable cooking materials are left on the stove and forgotten.


In case there's a fire at home, plan a way to get out in advance. Don't block doorways or windows, and make sure you can open your windows – they can get stuck in older buildings. Have a specific place for keys and your phone, so if you have to leave quickly you will know where they are and can call emergency services.

If you are out in the bush when there is a fire, pay attention to media reports on television, radio and the internet, which will tell you if or when you should evacuate the area.

Fore more information please see the Fire and Rescue NSW website

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.