China Connect Internship
Unique internship opportunities in China for UON students
Are you a current University of Newcastle student? Would you like to complete an internship in China over the Summer of 2019/2020?
Through the China Connect program, we have a range of exciting internship opportunities for university students.
Who is AustCham?
The China Australia Chamber of Commerce in Beijing is a member organisation linking and facilitating business between Australia and China. Members range from the financial services sector, energy and resources, food and agribusiness, education, health and life sciences, SME's and E-Commerce.
AustCham will be coordinating the placement of students into companies that best match their area of study and location preference.
For more information on AustCham, please refer to the 'Doing internships in China' PDF.
- Exclusive to University of Newcastle Chinese and Australian students
- English speaking and Mandarin speaking positions available
- Offered outside for formal semester study periods
- Internships in five (5) locations - Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chengdu
- Internships in Accounting, Business Management, Administration Management, Finance, Human Resources, Business Intelligence, IT and Public Relations
- Host companies include: Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, KPMG, Grant Thornton, Savills, North Head, Servcorp, Bluestar AMG, Colliers, and China Australia Chamber of Commerce (Beijing, West China, South China).
- Cultivate professional communication skills and business acumen
- Gain insight into Chinese workplace culture and practice
- Develop practical workplace skills relevant to your degree
- Foster teamwork and leadership capabilities
- Enhance employability and increase employment opportunities after graduation
- Develop valuable professional network in China
Jason Zhang, Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
“For Commerce students, the China Connect internship and my work experience was valuable and an integral part of skill-building. The University and AustCham Beijing gave me a great internship opportunity in China that allowed me to gain real-world workplace experiences with the company, Lehman Brown, which relates to my educational background. It was a very supportive workplace environment and I found it to be a good networking experience. Forming a professional relationship with the Director and meeting other employees in the same field gave me valuable experiences to help direct my future."
Information Session: 28th August 2019 - Register here
Expressions of Interest close: 11th September 2019
Written applications close: 5pm Wednesday 2nd October 2019
Selection period: October - November 2019
Internship: December 2019 – February 2020
- Chinese or Australian citizenship
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree
- Minimum GPA = 4.5 (calculate your GPA here)
- Undergraduate students - must have already successfully completed 120 units of study
- Must be available to travel to China between December 2019 and February 2020
- Student is responsible for all travel, accommodation, visa and living costs.
If you are interested in this internship opportunity, please complete the online Expression of Interest form.
For more information, please contact: Tel: +61 2 4921 6355, or Email: email@example.com
As an international student holding a student visa, the Australian Government allows you to work part-time for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight (two weeks) while your course is in session and unlimited hours during semester breaks and vacation periods.
Be sure to research all the details relating to your permission to work while on a student visa.
Finding part-time work depends on a number of things, including your English language ability and your own motivation to actively search for work. Remember to bring relevant documents with you to Australia that you may need to apply for part-time work, such as reference letters from previous employers.
To be eligible to work in Australia you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN).
For more information about workplace rights and conditions in Australia, please visit www.fairwork.gov.au/internationalstudents. This information is also available in 30 languages other than English and in videos at www.fairwork.gov.au/languages.
The University of Newcastle offers support to all students who are seeking part-time employment during their studies or full-time employment after graduation. The University's Careers Service provides students with a range of free services including:
- Workshops addressing topics such as interview skills, career planning, job search strategies and resume writing
- Individual interviews with a Careers Counsellor to discuss career choice and career planning
- Mailing lists and databases of job vacancies for students seeking part-time employment during their studies or a full-time graduate position.
For more information, please visit the University's Careers Service.
Employment on completion of your studies If you are not ready to leave Australian shores on completion of your degree you may be interested in the Professional and Other Skilled Migrants program. Alternatively, you may be interested in applying for a Temporary Graduate Visa.