ENVS2710 - Environmental Control Practice
|Course Code||Course Name||Intake|
Environmental Control Practice
13 Jan 2021
Overviews sources of and control strategies for air, water and soil pollution; waste management and waste minimisation; drainage and flood control; pests and pest control, and sanitation. Relevant legislation is referred to in context.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Identify sources of air, water and land pollution associated with major industries, understand the impacts to the environment and devise strategies to control and prevent pollution.
- Identify relevant legislation for environmental control and advise on strategies for compliance;
- Understand and manage environmental risks of chemicals and hazardous substances;
- Assess and manage environmental noise problems;
- Assess environmental health issues such as vector-borne disease and food-borne disease and devise appropriate vector control and food hygiene measures.
- Systematically address waste production and strategies to minimise and manage the waste stream
- Outline of relevant environmental and public health legislation in Singapore;
- Air pollution - prevention and control;
- Water pollution - prevention and control;
- Soil pollution - prevention and control;
- Environmental noise pollution - prevention and control;
- Outline of the biology of major pests - mosquitoes, houseflies, rats;
- Pest control;
- Infectious organisms and sanitation measures;
- Food hygiene
- Waste minimisation and management;
- Management of stormwater and drainage systems.
In Term Test: Class Test - Progress Test
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Final Examination: Written Formal Examination
Integrated Learning at PSB Academy
Face to Face on Campus 40 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Contact hours are not regular or on a weekly basis, since delivery will take place on some week-ends and evenings, i.e., there will be some intensive block teaching. Total face to face contact will be 40 hours.