Bachelor of Construction Management (Building) (Honours) – Full-time
2019 INTAKE NOW OPEN
Next Term Start Date: 29 July 2019
The Singapore construction industry is the industry of the future. It is an ever-growing and changing industry as projects in the country and region become more complex. Managing construction projects requires a combination of technical understanding of construction processes and resource management, as well as familiarity with legal and financial aspects.
The University of Newcastle has partnered with the Building and Construction Authority Academy (BCAA) to offer both local talents and international students an opportunity to take up the challenge of a career in Singapore's built environment. The essential courses included in the University of Newcastle's Bachelor of Construction Management (BCM) degree will provide you sufficient knowledge and skills in both technical and managerial aspects for you to solve real world challenges.
When you undertake this degree, you will have the added advantage of meeting with key employers from the industry. The BCM degree is supported by a wide range of industrial partners (mainly contractors) who offer sponsorships, 16 weeks industrial attachment opportunities and graduate job positions. With the extensive exposure, you will be able to put into practice what you have learnt in the classroom, be work-ready and prepared for real experiences upon graduation.
The programme incorporates substantial Building Information Modelling (BIM) teaching and projects which offer a niche specialty beyond the construction management discipline. This would give the graduates a solid foundation to pursue wide career choice as BIM Managers, Project Managers, Quantity Surveyors and Facility Managers.
- Construction Technology 1
- Construction Ecology 1
- Digital Communication in the Built Environment
- Communication in the Built Environment
- Construction Law & Legislation
- Building Codes & Compliance
- Construction Technology, Sequencing & Representation
- Construction Management Fundamentals
- Construction Ecology 2
- Measurement of Building Works 1
- Health and Safety in Built Environment
- Maintenance Services and Rehabilitation
- Economics of the Construction Industry
- Cost Planning & Estimating
- Construction Procurement & Tendering
- Construction Technology 3
- Construction Business Management
- Construction Project Planning
- Development Economics and Facilities Management
- Infrastructure Development
- Building Fire Safety & Compliance
- Contract Administration
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Measurement of Building Works 2
- Construction Ecology 3
- Construction Technology and Services
- Research in the Built Environment A
- Research in the Built Environment B
- Construction Finance and Entrepreneurship
- Work Integrated Learning BIM
Students may be exempted on certain courses and may need to complete bridging modules to be articulated into an accelerated pathway depending on the relevance of the Diploma qualifications. Delivery of modules may not follow the sequence as shown and are subject to change.
Some of the companies that our students have been attached to include:
- Davis Langdon KPK (Singapore) Pte Ltd
- Kimly Construction Pte Ltd
- Shimizu Corporation
- The Ascott Limited
- Tiong Seng Constractors Pte Ltd
- Woh Hup Pte Ltd
Students studying into the degree will also have the chance to visit organisations to understand the facilities management services that is being practised in the industry, and its approaches and strategies in overcoming challenges to allow a smooth and efficient operation.
1. Visit to Changi Airport
2. Visit to National Stadium | Singapore Sports Hub
3. Visit to Orchard Boulevard Station
This degree is fully endorsed by six professional bodies in Australia and internationally. It is accredited by:
- Australian Institute of Building (AIB)
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS)
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
These accreditations reflect the direct relationship between what you’ll learn in the degree and the requirements of various sectors of the construction industry.
This degree can be completed on a full-time basis in Singapore. The normal duration of the entire degree is two and a half years, depending on your prior qualifications and the number of credit transfers/exemptions you will be granted.
We invite you to join us in this exciting industry in Singapore and beyond.