Bachelor of Communication (Major in Public Relations and Journalism) – Full-time
2019 INTAKE NOW OPEN
Next Term Start Date: 2 September 2019
There is an ever-growing demand for Communication and Public Relations specialists to fill various positions in both the public and private sectors of the economy in Singapore and in Asia at large. If you enjoy writing, possess good writing skills and have the urge to learn to communicate more effectively, The University of Newcastle's Bachelor of Communication (major in Public Relations and Journalism) is the degree for you.
Designed to provide a solid understanding of the theory and the practice of communication in a global environment that is both complex and rapidly changing, the Bachelor of Communication degree enables you to learn to work creatively and analytically in the communication and culture industries. Its core courses provide you with a broad understanding of the discipline of Communication encompassing:
- an introduction to audio, video and web production
- a toolkit of professional and academic analytical skills and
- an understanding of creative, professional practice
The Bachelor of Communication degree and its courses were developed and designed by academic staff in Australia with considerable professional experience in Public Relations, Journalism, Television, and Broadcasting.
In Singapore, the degree is delivered by local award-winning teaching staff with professional media expertise and industrial experience in Public Relations, Journalism, Television, and Broadcasting and has a 90% completion rate – meaning 9 out of 10 students who start, complete the degree and graduate.
This degree can be completed entirely in Singapore on a full-time basis in six trimesters over two years.
The University of Newcastle is the only Australian university to offer in Singapore a Bachelor of Communication where you can opt for two majors in Public Relations and Journalism.
- Introduction to Digital Communication
- Introduction to Communication Theory
- Audience Studies
- Foundations of Media Production
- Media, Law, Ethics
- Creative Industries Entrepreneurship
- Communication, Creativity and Cultural Production
- Communication and Discourse
- Introduction to Professional Writing
- Public Affairs and Communication
Compulsory and Directed Modules
- Feature Writing
- Introduction to Journalism
- Radio Journalism
- International Media Studies
- Television Journalism
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Developing Multimedia Publications
- Public Relations Writing
- Advanced Public Relations Studies
- Public Relations Strategies
- Public Relations Campaigns
- Elective modules offered will be subject to availability in each term as approved by the University.
Delivery of modules may not follow the sequence as shown and are subject to change.
Public Relations Institute of Australia
The Bachelor of Communication degree is accredited by the Public Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA). As a result of this accreditation, all students actively enrolled full-time in this degree have access to PRelationship which is an e-membership that gives Bachelor of Communication students access to all PRIA's online resources, including Golden Target Award case studies, the Asia Pacific PR Journal, industry news, blogs, and free entry to webinars.
PRelationship members have to abide by the PRIA Code of Ethics, but there are no CPD requirements and therefore no post-nominals. Students studying the UON Bachelor of Communication degree in Singapore and Australia will have access to these valuable resources, free of charge and eligibility and terms and conditions for this e-membership with PRIA are the same for both group of students. The PRelationship e-membership is valid for 12 months.
Hear from some of our graduates:
- Ms Tay Li Shi Alyson, Graduated in 2016
- Mr Duncan Elias, Graduated in 2011
- Ms Eva Berlin Fransiskus, Graduated in 2011
- Mr Farid Arrisyad, Graduated in 2010