Bachelor of Commerce – Full-time
Next Intake Start Date
Trimester 2 – 10 May 2021
Trimester 3 – 06 September 2021
The University of Newcastle's Bachelor of Commerce (Major in Accounting) is ideal for those who are interested in pursuing a career in the accounting industry. The degree is designed to equip you with practical skills and knowledge to join and thrive in the industry.
When you join this degree, you will:
- Acquire relevant competencies that are highly valued and required by employers in all sectors: public, private and non-profit.
- Learn the Australian accounting standard practices.
- Develop strong teamwork, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Attain leadership and communication skills.
Courses offered in this degree cover the following areas:
- accounting related courses
- microeconomics and macroeconomics in the global economy
- foundations of law
- business decision making
- ACFI1001 - Accounting for Decision Makers
- ACFI1002 - Accounting Practice
- ACFI1003 - Introduction to Finance
- LEGL1001 - Foundations of Law
- MNGT1001 - Introduction to Management
- ECON1001 - Microeconomics for Business Decisions
- ECON1002 - Macroeconomics in the Global Economy
- STAT1060 - Business Decision Making
Compulsory and Directed Courses
- ACFI3001 - Accounting Theory
- ACFI3004 - Taxation
- ACFI3005 - Auditing and Assurance
- ACFI3009 - Contemporary Accounting Issues
- ACFI2003 - Management Accounting
- ACFI2011 - Financial Accounting for Reporting Entities
- Elective courses offered will be subject to availability in each term as approved by the University.
Delivery of courses may not follow the sequence as shown and are subject to change.
In Singapore, the degree is delivered by academics who are:
- Highly qualified and have the industry knowledge
- Professionally experienced, produce research outputs, and have scholarly knowledge
- Approved by the faculty of Business and Law, University of Newcastle, Australia
The academics will impart their knowledge and a sense of global citizenship to students via internationalised and localised case studies and real-life examples, taking cross-cultural elements in consideration. Students will have better insight into how the external environment changes and affects the contemporary accounting environment in Australia, Singapore, and the world.
Exciting, stimulating, and lucrative career paths for graduates of this degree include the fields of:
- business analysis
This degree can be completed on a full-time basis in Singapore. The normal duration of the entire degree is six trimesters over two years, depending on your prior qualifications and the number of credit transfers/exemptions that you will be granted.
A student who completes the degree with outstanding achievement as a top student in the graduating cohort will be awarded the Indrani Dasgupta Memorial Student Excellence Award.
Graduates of this programme will likely receive full exemptions from all the Foundation exams under CPA Australia. They will qualify to commence the CPA Program directly and join CPA Australia as an Associate Member. Graduates are also recognized for admission as an Associate Member of the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA).
Graduates will also have accreditation with other major professional bodies in accounting, including the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
The University of Newcastle’s Business School (NBS) has received international acclaim for its programs through accreditation from USA-based Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).Read the Program Handbook here Program plan 2021
Hear from some of our graduates:
- Wendy Chang, Class of 2019
- Richie Chen, Class of 2019
- Sherneelia Koh Min, Class of 2019
- Reza Wibowo, Class of 2015
- Li Jia (Joy), Class of 2011