Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours)
Next Term Start Date: 18 July 2022
We educate our engineers to meet the global challenges of the future. You could engineer energy-efficient buildings using the latest nano-materials, or help develop sustainable and resilient infrastructure in developing countries. Perhaps you’ll design Australia’s first high-speed train network to connect communities and reduce carbon emissions. Or even build a revolutionary water recycling plant to tackle water security issues.
What is Civil Engineering?
Civil engineers are responsible for the physical infrastructure that enables modern societies to function. Buildings, highways and railways, tunnels, airports, power generation facilities and harbour facilities are all designed, built and managed by civil engineers.
In Singapore, Civil Engineers are high in demand and are vital to the country’s drive in creating a better built environment and liveable city. With the development of mega infrastructure projects as well as re-shaping Singapore’s city landscape, there are high prospects for Civil Engineers^ to design, plan, build, manage and oversee the development of building projects.
This degree programme is designed to allow both GCE 'A' level and diploma graduates a pathway to pursue a rewarding career in the built environment.
^$2,888 is the average monthly entry-level salary for engineering profession with degree qualification (without honours). Source: Most Lucrative Jobs for Graduates in Singapore, 2015, Hay Group
Why study with us?
- We are number one for Engineering in NSW for good teaching, the overall education experience, and student support.
- Our graduates are job-ready. They rated us number 1 in NSW for the skills they enter the workplace with, and in 2015, 85% of our engineering graduates were employed within four months of graduating.
- Emerging technologies and work processes such as Virtual Design and Construction (VDC), and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DfMA) are included in the curriculum. These knowledge will provide you a head-start in career over your peers.
- You will have the opportunity to real-life work experience at leading built environment firms under the programme’s 12-week Industrial Experience initiative.
- You will be eligible for Resident Engineer registration in Singapore.
Program Educational Outcomes: Engineering
Our Engineering programs produce graduates that meet the following Program Educational Outcomes (PEOs). The PEOs are statements that summate the minimum expectations of graduates some 3-5 years post-graduation.
Our Engineers will:
- Create, innovate, design and manage engineering systems in both the public and private sectors
- Communicate effectively in written and oral formats with both professional and broader communities, with appropriate respect for cultural, national and ethical norms
- Pursue life-long learning: appreciate new directions and knowledge in engineering, and understand developments within modern tools of analysis, synthesis and design
- Seek to incorporate interdisciplinary concepts and perspectives into engineering solutions
- Practice engineering in an ethical and sustainable manner, respecting regulatory concerns and the broader impacts of engineering solutions in both a local and global context
What you will study?
- Introduction to Professional Engineering
- Mathematics for Engineering, Science and Technology 1
- Fundamentals of Engineering Physics
- Introduction to Surveying
- Fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics
- Earth Systems
- Introduction to Engineering Computations
- Mathematics for Engineering, Science and Technology 2
- Engineering Probabilities
- Numerical Methods
- Theory of Structures 1
- Sustainable Engineering Practice
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Introduction to Geomechanics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Transportation Engineering and Design
- Steel Design
- Theory of Structures 2
- Geomechanics 2
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Advanced Analysis for Design
- Water Engineering
- Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Project S1
- Managing Engineering Projects
- Final Year Project A
- Final Year Project B
- Construction Technology and Services
- Virtual Design and Construction
- Design for Manufacturing and Assembly
- Advanced Structural Analysis
Students may be exempted on certain courses and may need to complete bridging modules to be articulated into an accelerated pathway depending on the relevance of the Diploma qualifications. Delivery of modules may not follow the sequence as shown and are subject to change.
Connect with industry through guest lectures and interdisciplinary projects solving real world problems. Gain invaluable practical experience through your industry placement.
Become job-ready through our professional practice courses. You'll learn to tackle ‘wicked problems’ and develop essential workplace skills in finance, project management, sustainability, communication and entrepreneurism.
Diversify your skills with a cluster of four elective specialisation courses, which can be used to:
- deepen your technical competence in your engineering field
- broaden your expertise in another area of engineering
- specialise your skills in areas outside engineering, such as business or maths
- study overseas at one of our many partner institutions.