Sessional Lecturer - Bachelor of Communication (Data Visualisation in Journalism)
We are seeking sessional lecturers/tutors with a proven track record of effective teaching and experience in the field of Communication. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to teaching and coaching the following course:
1. Data Visualisation in Journalism (Full Time Programme)
This course will require students to interpret data through the creation of tables, charts, animations and infographics for journalism. Students will build on skills learnt in other Communication courses to visualise data in a journalistic context and learn how to represent complex ideas, issues and data using various forms of visualisation. The legal and ethical implications of working with big data will be an integral part of the course as will an understanding of the social implications of data journalism and visualisation.
2. Multiplatform Journalism(Full Time Programme)
This course will require students to develop research, interviewing and writing skills to prepare, record and edit material suitable for multiplatform journalism. Students will develop skills demonstrating ethical and legal obligations of story creation. Workshops will cover writing for the spoken word, recording, interviewing, editing, storing, retrieving and embedding video.
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field and/or professional experience.
- Demonstrable experience in big data journalism.
- Demonstrable experience in a news and/or news production environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively with academic and professional staff.
- Demonstrable previous teaching experience at tertiary education level.
- High-level written and oral English communication skills.
- Willingness to contribute effectively as a member of a cohesive team.
- Demonstrable experience with undergraduate students in a cross-cultural learning environment.
- Experience with university administrative systems and reporting requirements.
Interested applicants are invited to email their resume to: email@example.com. Kindly state the following as the email subject - “Sessional Lecturer – Communication”.
Please check University of Newcastle website for further details on the courses at: www.newcastle.edu.au.
Kindly note that your application will be assessed based on the selection criteria. It is essential that you address each criterion to enable the selection committee to properly assess your application and suitability.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.