Study with us
The School of Psychology’s undergraduate programs are fully accredited by the Australian Psychological Accreditation Council (APAC). After a three-year Bachelor’s program, you can leave to get a job, or you could go on to an additional Honours year, or Master of Business Psychology.
You also have the option after an Honours year to go on to a Master of Clinical Psychology, a Master of Professional Psychology or a Clinical PhD, all of which are also fully accredited with APAC.
You also have the option after Honours to do a three-year research PhD with one of our leading experts in Psychology.
All of our programs are available to study part-time and we have multiple flexible study options.
Careers in psychology
Visit the websites below for examples of career opportunities in psychology.
- Careers in psychology - Australian Psychology Society
- 20 psychologist specialties and what they do - Verywell Mind
Psychology is the scientific study of human behaviour. The knowledge you gain in a psychology degree will open your mind, make you more competitive in the job market, and make a positive impact on the lives of others. It will help you understand why people behave the way that they do and will help improve the planet by understanding the link between consumption, identity and fostering environmentally sustainable behaviours. You will participate in and help drive cutting-edge research; everything from autonomous vehicles, to the impact of trauma, to understanding how the brain works. Research and career opportunities are as broad as your imagination.
- Clinical psychologist
- Market researcher
- Human resources consultant
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Music / Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Psychological Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science / Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Psychological Science / Bachelor of Communication
- Bachelor of Psychological Science / Bachelor of Social Science
- Bachelor of Psychological Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Social Science
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma in Psychological Science
- Master of Business Psychology
- Master of Clinical Psychology
- Master of Professional Psychology
The Master of Clinical Psychology is a professional qualification for those who wish to practice as a Clinical Psychologist. With expert supervision in our Psychology clinic and local health care and community settings, the course will give you the skills to work in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a wide range of psychological disorders.
The Master of Professional Psychology is a professional qualification for those who wish to practice as a Registered Psychologist. Through intensive psychological training and education, graduates will be skilled in applying advanced psychological learnings competently and ethically across a broad range of professional settings.
The Master of Business Psychology is designed for graduates from a variety of disciplines seeking to advance their leadership and management skills from a psychological perspective to enhance performance and wellbeing out in the corporate business sector.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.