Teach Outreach is a volunteer placement program run by the School of Education and has an endless list of benefits for students, the School of Education, and our community partners. Schools, early childhood centres, and community organisations such as support services for recently arrived migrant students advertise an activity that would benefit from the support of volunteer teacher education student.
Education students who take up a volunteer opportunity benefit from involvement in activities that will enhance their professional knowledge and skills and give them hands on experience. Participating in the Teach Outreach program can also assist students to ‘stand out of the pack’ when applying for teaching positions post-graduation.
Students receive a certificate and recognition on their Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) for volunteer opportunities they complete.
- Read the Teach Outreach Guidelines.
- Submit your Request for Teach Outreach Volunteers online form. This is the only avenue available to request Teach Outreach volunteers.
When your request for Teach Outreach volunteers has gained relevant UON approvals, your activity will be promoted to UON Education students via the SONIA placement system, and via Education Program-based electronic communication applications.
- Interested students will contact you directly. You can arrange a meeting with them to discuss the opportunity and the induction process.
- Prior to the student commencing the volunteer activity the student will be required to obtain relevant NSW DEC Mandatory Requirements for Students and be cleared. The Community Partner should request the student provide them to view at the location upon their first visit.
- Public Liability insurance for the student whilst they are at your location is covered by the University and the current certificate of currency is able to be viewed here. Insurance is automatic upon their first visit to you and you are not required to sign a form.
- Students will be asked to log their volunteering via their Timesheet on the SONIA placement system. Community Partners will also log onto the SONIA system to ‘Approve’ the student’s entry. Timesheet approval instructions can be found here.
- Once a student completes the period of requested volunteering with the Community Partner their timesheet needs to have the final entry Approved on the Timesheet. That is all that is required of the Community Partner, as it will be the student’s responsibility to submit a Completion of Volunteering Form to Teach Outreach.
Log onto the SONIA School of Education placement system using your university issued username and password. Go to the Placements tab and select +Join to view TEACH OUTREACH Volunteer Program information and Teach Outreach volunteer placement offers.
You can also find general information about Teach Outreach on the Teach Outreach Blackboard BB site.
- Locate the Teach Outreach Volunteer Program header and click on the red Details tab. Please read important information located on this page. Please download and read the following documents:
- Teach Outreach Guidelines for Students
- Please ensure that you have met mandatory compliance requirements prior to undertaking any Teach Outreach volunteer activity, including the final step of uploading those checks to the SONIA Checks page.
Once you have your compliance requirements cleared by the PEU, you will be able to view the list of locations currently offering vacancies in volunteer roles (until clearance you will not be able to view).
Using the Filter function to the left, narrow down your search. For example, you can search by Local Government Area. Choose one that suits you, your work commitments and timetable. This is volunteering, however the Community Partners require a level of commitment from you. Once you have narrowed the location search, you can click the grey arrow to the left of the location name to find out what is involved at that activity.
Scroll down to ‘Comments’ and locate the information. Note the contact name and email/phone, and make direct contact with them.
If you confirm participation with that contact person, email email@example.com to let us know your start date, and the location you have begun volunteering with. Teach Outreach will contact you.