Visual Communication Design
Find a Visual Communication Design Supervisor
Before you apply, contact a supervisor for discussion on possible research projects. This will allow you to frame your proposal to align with established disciplines and areas of supervisor capacity.
- Professor Mario Minichiello: human design for; behaviour, Visualisation, Visual Narrative and story telling, Branding, Animation, film and moving imagery, drawing, conflict art and design for medical applications.
- Associate Professor Mark Roxburgh: design practice and theory; photographic practice and theory; user-centred, participatory, and user experience design; visual representation, visual storytelling and visual methodologies.
- Dr Caelli Jo Brooker: visual art; mark-making; drawing; painting; print media; artists books; graphic design; typography; hapticity: practice as research; visual research methodologies; materiality; visuality; visual literacies; the nexus between art and design; art and design pedagogy; art theory and the philosophy of art and design.
- Dr Michael Dickinson: transforming creative ideas through design into commercial realities. Design for innovation and engagement. Expertise in design theory and practice led research.
- Dr Simone O’Callaghan: user experience design and human interaction as well as creative practice-based methods for research
- Dr Jane Shadbolt: research into relationship between stop motion animation and special effects in live action cinema. It looks at ideas of illusion and the visual representation of the impossible through theory and practice.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.