ASEAN Excellence Scholarship
The ASEAN Excellence Scholarship has been established to attract high-performing students to study at the University of Newcastle. This is a merit-based scholarship that recognises applicants with a strong academic background and incentives them to continue striving to be the best that they can be.
ASEAN refers to the following countries, citizens of which are considered eligible for this scholarship:
- The Philippines
Scholarships will be automatically awarded to students who have received an offer to study in an eligible, non-quota program and who will commence studying with the University of Newcastle.
For more information on this scholarship, please review the the scholarship Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a passport from one of the eligible "ASEAN" countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand, The Philippines, Vietnam.
- Be commencing study in an eligible undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree program at the University (excluding ELICOS, Enabling, Non-Award, Higher Degrees by Research programs and programs delivered at offshore campuses).
- Be an International full-fee paying student.
- Be commencing in an eligible program at an Australian or Online campus as indicated in your Letter of Offer.
- Not be the beneficiary of a separate University scholarship unless prior approval for special dispensation has been obtained from the university.
- Meet all of the financial obligations of a full-fee paying international student, including the full tuition fee and other expenses for the purpose of obtaining your student visa, and in the event that eligibility for the scholarship is not maintained.
- Not be enrolling in an excluded quota program (see selection details).
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- None Required.
The scholarship is valued at AU$10,000 for each year of study under full-time study load, apportioned over each course taken (pro-rata with an approved load reduction on program plan, credits exemptions, progression or wellbeing grounds).
This equates to AU$1250 per 10-units of study and will be administered each term as a tuition fee reduction against the amount of credits initially issued in your letter of offer.
Please review the full terms and conditions for more detail.
The advertised value of the scholarship and number available are indicative only. The actual value will depend on length of program and ongoing eligibility.
No application is required for this scholarship.
Scholarships are automatically applied for upon application to the University (where eligibility criteria is met).
Successful students will receive notification of the value of their scholarship with their offer and should review the full terms and conditions, advising the university if you do not wish to accept.
Scholarship offers will be made on the basis of academic merit. All academic merit determinations are determined according to the University’s procedures for determining ATAR and GPA.
Students who do not receive an offer of the scholarship will not be eligible for the scholarship. Internal transfer students who are studying at an Australian or Online campus and were not previously awarded the scholarship will also not be eligible.
Quota programs excluded from this scholarship are:
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Diagnostic Radiography)
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Nuclear Medicine)
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science (Honours) (Radiation Therapy)
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Therapy
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Podiatry.
The University reserves the right not to award the scholarship.
- College of Engineering Science and Environment
- College of Health Medicine and Wellbeing
- College of Human and Social Futures
International Enquiries and Conversion
University of Newcastle
University Drive, Callaghan NSW 2308
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.