* Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) Program Scholarship
24 January 2021
The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) Program Scholarships have been established in 2021 to strengthen tertiary participation for school leavers residing in regional and remote Australia.
The scholarship provides financial support to encourage and assist outer regional and remote students who are relocating more than 90 minutes to study in the year immediately following completion of school (Year 12 or equivalent). It is expected this will be a positive contribution toward costs of relocating to study, including (but not restricted to) start up expenses such as bond, transport, textbooks, materials, utility bills and groceries.
The scholarship provides $5000 for the first year of study and can be held alongside other scholarships offered by the University. Recipients of this scholarship will remain enrolled full-time for the year long duration of the scholarship and maintain academic progress in their degree.
Applicants commencing an eligible program in 2021 are encouraged to apply.
Applications will open 01 January 2021. Apply early to be best placed for an offer.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be commencing study in any bachelor or diploma level program with University of Newcastle.
- Have completed secondary school (Year 12 or equivalent) in the year prior to commencing tertiary study.
- Be aged between 15 and 22.
- Have resided in an outer-regional, remote, or very remote area. Check via the Student Regional Area Search.
- Be relocating from a residential address at least 90 minutes by public transport from your University of Newcastle campus.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Be studying on campus with face to face mode of delivery.
- Demonstrate that your parent(s) or guardian(s) have a combined income of less than $250,000.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Please upload evidence that your parent(s) or guardian(s) have a combined income of less than $250,000 such as previous years' tax assessment.
- Evidence of your relocation from an outer regional, remote, or very remote area. This can be documents such as Centrelink letters, utilities bill, electoral role, your attendance at school in the location.
- A screen shot or copy of your trip planner to demonstrate you are relocating form an area at least 90 minutes from campus by public transport.
- For all documents not in your name (for instance, your parents' tax return or utility bills), please make sure you include documents to show your relationship to that person such as a birth certificate.
The scholarship is for one year only and must be taken up in the year of award.
The scholarship provides a benefit of $5000 paid as $3000 after semester one census date, and $2000 after semester 2 census date.
Students who are unable to commence until midyear will receive $3000 at semester 2 census date and $2000 at semester 1 census date of the following year.
Selection is based on the information provided in your scholarship application and your assessment against the eligibility criteria.
A waitlist may be established in the event that additional funding becomes available.
All applicants will be advised of an outcome via email.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759