Cancer and Heart Research Vacation Scholarship
08 November 2020
The School of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy is providing two summer vacation scholarships to University of Newcastle students from any related discipline who demonstrate a keen interest in one of two research Cancer and Heart research topics:
- The discovery of cardioprotective drug in chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity, and
- Biomarker discovery in cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate program relevant to the area of research with the University of Newcastle.
- Be in the final year of the undergraduate course and considering Honours or further postgraduate studies (desirable but not essential).
- Have a keen interest in the research topics advertised.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- A brief statement (maximum 300 words) outlining your preferred research topic/s, why you are interested in actively participating in a particular area of research, and future goals and aspirations.
Two (2) scholarships are available valued at $2,500 each. This benefit will be paid following acceptance of the scholarship offer.
Whilst not compulsory, the scholarship offers the valuable opportunity to actively participate in the research program, gaining laboratory skills and techniques and valuable research experience if looking to progress to Honours and Research by Higher Degree. This experience runs for a period of 8 weeks during the November 2020 to March 2021 period and will provide an opportunity to gain experience in field research and environmental management over the vacation period.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on the application including written statement, academic merit, and any prior or relevant experience. Preference may be given to students in the later years of their degree as the opportunity supports preparation for Honours and/or postgraduate research.
Selection will be approved by the recommendations of Associate Professor Doan Ngo.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759