06 March 2020
Yancoal is Australia’s largest pure play coal producer. Operating five mines and managing five others across New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia, Yancoal also has a ~50% share in the Middlemount joint venture. Yancoal currently employs approximately 3,000 people, sourcing the majority of its people from the local communities in which it operates. Yancoal’s New South Wales region includes the mines of Moolarben, Hunter Valley Operations, Mount Thorley Warkworth and Stratford Duralie, with the Queensland region comprising of Yarrabee and the Middlemount Joint Venture.
The aim of this scholarship is to support students financially while encouraging them to pursue a career in the Mining & Resources Industry. It is the intention of this scholarship to build an ongoing relationship with the scholar with a view to them being considered for a career with Yancoal.
The type of student that Yancoal is seeking for this scholarship is someone who has an interest and desire to pursue a career in the Mining & Resources Industry. Desirable traits include enthusiasm, a passion for their field, motivation to make a difference and a strive for continuous improvement. The successful scholar reflects one or more of the Yancoal values of Safety, People, Excellence, Innovation and Integrity. Furthermore, the student must have a strong connection with the local community, aiming to actively contribute where possible.
This scholarship has been established to:
- Promote Yancoal’s commitment to education pathways and to support access to tertiary education for students from the Singleton Local Government Area.
- Support and encourage Singleton students to enrol in Engineering and / or Business disciplines and in turn provide them with a pathway through to a potential career with Yancoal.
- Demonstrate Yancoal’s commitment to making a positive and lasting difference in the communities where it operates.
This scholarship is open to the following degrees (including honours and combined degrees which include one of those listed below):
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering
- Bachelor of Environmental Science and Management
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering
Preference will be given to students from Singleton, Muswellbrook or the Upper Hunter.
For more information about this scholarship, please review the full Terms and Conditions.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in the 2nd year of an eligible degree with the University of Newcastle (refer to listed programs under 'Establishment').
- Demonstrate impact of personal circumstances, such as carer, sole parent, financial hardship, English language difficulty, Indigenous Australian, long term medical condition or effects of abuse, disability, refugee status, regional/remote disadvantage.
- Demonstrate academic progress by a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 or higher.
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Documents required may vary depending on your application reponses. Please refer to the Your Documents section of your application for information on what you will need to provide.
The scholarship provides a total benefit of $15,000 over a maximum term of 3 years provided ongoing eligibility is met.
The scholarship provides an annual benefit of $5,000 which will be paid in two lump sums of $2,500 following the Semester one and Semester two census dates.
Selection is a competitive process and will be based on assessment of the scholarship application and any required supporting documents, with reference to the eligibility criteria.
Selection will be made by the Multi-Faculty Selection Committee which will consist of a minimum of three members chosen by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academic.
The Selection Committee will communicate the details of successful recipients to the delegated Scholarships Officer, and all applicants will be notified of an outcome via email. This will occur within 6 weeks of the scholarship application closing date.
Preference will be given to students from Singleton Muswellbrook or the Upper Hunter.
Student Services Centre
University of Newcastle
CALLAGHAN NSW 2308
Phone: +61 2 4921 5000
Fax: +61 2 4921 5759